Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

'95 F-150 Speedometer, Odometer and Cruise doesnt work! HELP PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '95 F-150 Speedometer, Odometer and Cruise doesnt work! HELP PLEASE!

Hi guys! I just want to introduce myself before I ask my question. My name is Jason. I am from Houston, TX and I am finally a proud owner of (my late Father's) F-150 Eddie Bauer edition. It has the 4.9L I-6 engine, with a 5 speed manual transmission. Oh did I mention it has dual gas tanks? I have to give my old man props, he sure knew how to pick a truck!

Now to my question. I recently got the truck back from my ex-brother in law (long story, lol) and the truck runs great. HOWEVER, the Speedometer, Odometer, and Cruise Control do not work. I looked at the manual and it said the speedometer gets it's input from the ABS sensor. I also looked at the fuse box. I noticed the #18 fuse (which listed speedometer under it) was missing, so I replaced it. I started the truck, the odometer came on for a second, then blew the fuse. It did it a second, and third time (yes I'm hardheaded lol). I disconnected the negative battery cable, and it sparked. Im guessing there is a short somewhere? Or would the ABS sensor have anything to do with this?

I called the dealership and let them know what was going on. Im hesitant, however, on taking it there due to costs lol.

If anyone can help me on this, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Yall have a wonderful day!

By the way, the sick part of it all is that I dont know the mileage on the truck. My brother in law hardly drove it believe it or not. Everytime I went to his house, the truck was sitting in the same spot. He told my sister that he thinks the truck has around only 50K on it. He got it from my Mother (notice I didnt say my Dad) when it had 41K on it.

I sure hope this is true about the 50K because if so, I sure as hell hit the jackpot!
Old 03-04-2009, 07:56 PM
No Pain, No Pain!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Welcome to the board.

It could be a short in the system if it keeps blowing the fuse as soon as you power up the truck. There are some excellent mechanics here and I am sure they will be able to offer some good suggestions to help with your problem.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:11 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

There's definitely a short somewhere. I guess I'd start at the VSS/ABS sensor, located on the differential. Some have found the wires to it have deteriorated. You can also unplug the sensor and try another fuse, if it doesn't pop then the sensor is bad. I think that sensor operates off of a ground signal only though so it might not be the problem.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I understand correctly the speed sensor creates a voltage increase due to the sensor ring passing metal studs through a magnetic field. I believe that these use a electromagnet instead of a permanent magnet due to cost.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:13 PM

I have a friend that had the same problem... a squirrel had bit through the wires going to the vss/abs sensor. Check the sensor and wiring.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:05 PM
Hybrid Truck

Speed sensor creates a modulation that is converted into a square wave
that is amplified by a amplifier/driver.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:22 PM
Love Ford or F*** Off

i had the same problem on my 95 eddie... mechanic said the short was coming from the dome light... he said there was a tech bulletin on it about the screws in it were too long and over time i guess the will touch the inside of the roof causing the short... he put it shorter screws and it hasn't popped since...
Old 03-05-2009, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by dustin9779
i had the same problem on my 95 eddie... mechanic said the short was coming from the dome light... he said there was a tech bulletin on it about the screws in it were too long and over time i guess the will touch the inside of the roof causing the short... he put it shorter screws and it hasn't popped since...
I tried shorter screws and it still popped. I noticed that there are two long screws and a third one which is a bit shorter than the two. When I replaced the two longest ones, it seemed that the screws I replaced them with might have still been a little long because they seemed to have been touching the roof, if that makes any sense.

How short should the screws be that I put in there? Maybe I need to get shorter ones?

I guess I'll try to check the ABS sensor and wiring and then the speed sensor.

Thanks so far everyone! I just hope this saves me from a trip to the good old dealership.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:58 PM
American Pride!!

This sh%$ is gettin thick, Im not doubting anybody but dome light screws causing a short so the speedo doesnt work(LOL!!!!!). I guess Ive heard of crazier stuff. Just take out all the screws in the truck that might be a suspect and see if it works and if does then just superglue everything back together. Im sorry, it all just sounds so funny to me right now. It might all make since to me in the mornin while my heads a hurtin.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:24 AM
Love Ford or F*** Off

yeah i thought it was pretty wild when i heard it too... i'll see if i can have him pull up the tech bulletin again for me and post up the link...

Quick Reply: '95 F-150 Speedometer, Odometer and Cruise doesnt work! HELP PLEASE!