Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

1997 F150 lariat adding snow plow

Old 11-20-2012, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 F150 lariat adding snow plow

Okay I have a Ford F-150 Super cab Lariat and I plan on adding a snow plow. I know the eaps or electronic assist steering issue and I added/replaced the standard alternator with a 235 AMP or was it a 265 AMP, but anyways its twice the size of the normal alternator.

Does anyone have any tips or warnings about installing a plow?

It is a western Pro Plow with the side wings, I suspect by looking at it. Yes I bought it used but in near new looking condition.

I have a couple concerns about the front torsion bars, will they support the plow without any serious issues?

I plan on adding helper springs in the back and adding a bit of weight to counter the plow weight.

If anyone has real life knowledge and tips I would be grateful for your input.

Thanks much

James

Last edited by alphamale357; 11-20-2012 at 05:06 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:42 PM

Received 2,508 Likes on 1,818 Posts

What about the air bags? Are you having them disabled so that if you hit a snowburm they wouldn't deploy? I just thinking of the sensors sensing impact against hard snow or burm. Check with Western and see what they recommend on the install and what to do or modify. I know they mount to lower subframe but if they interfere or not, I don't know.

I've plowed snow here in Alaska for years, but never with an air bag enabled vehicle, so I don't know what is required to make it work or if you have to do anything. The dealer will be able to give the answers though. Good choice on Western. Is it the uni-mount design or older style pin lock? Post some pics if you get it mounted. Good luck
Old 11-20-2012, 05:48 PM

Hello

here is the link to the pictures. It is an older western in great condition for dirt cheap.

It looks like an older Pro series.

http://s457.photobucket.com/albums/qq297/bailenforcer/

Originally Posted by akdoggie
What about the air bags? Are you having them disabled so that if you hit a snowburm they wouldn't deploy? I just thinking of the sensors sensing impact against hard snow or burm. Check with Western and see what they recommend on the install and what to do or modify. I know they mount to lower subframe but if they interfere or not, I don't know.

I've plowed snow here in Alaska for years, but never with an air bag enabled vehicle, so I don't know what is required to make it work or if you have to do anything. The dealer will be able to give the answers though. Good choice on Western. Is it the uni-mount design or older style pin lock? Post some pics if you get it mounted. Good luck
Old 11-20-2012, 05:48 PM

Here is what Western says fits your undercarriage on your 97 F150. This fits the unimount design plow. If you have this bracketry with your plow you are in fat city. If not, you may have to buy this set up or if you are good with a welder (I mean good--lots of banging and stress on the welds), you could do this yourself. Again, Good luck.
Attached Images  

Last edited by akdoggie; 11-20-2012 at 05:50 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:53 PM

Yes we have installed a few plows and welding won't be a problem at all. We actually made custom mounts recently.

Here is what Western says fits your undercarriage on your 97 F150. This fits the unimount design plow. If you have this bracketry with your plow you are in fat city. If not, you may have to buy this set up or if you are good with a welder (I mean good--lots of banging and stress on the welds), you could do this yourself. Again, Good luck.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by alphamale357
Hello

here is the link to the pictures. It is an older western in great condition for dirt cheap.

It looks like an older Pro series.

http://s457.photobucket.com/albums/qq297/bailenforcer/
Ok its the link pin mount. You can take the picture and modify a setup similar to mount your plow. I didn't see a kit for this plow anymore. Only the newer unimount design. Oh well, hell, time to get some serious welding experience or find someone to make you the brackets.
At least you have the pics to figure out how to mount it and what you can build. You would only modify the front ears where the pins go thru. You would want a "U" style end so both ends of your a frame would slip into them for pinning.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:59 PM

Okay, I have both MIG and stick welders here, and have been welding since 1976 so welding and fabricating the mounting system won't be a problem.

My main concern was the Fords ability to hold such a heavy plow with torsion bars...

Ok its the link pin mount. You can take the picture and modify a setup similar to mount your plow. I didn't see a kit for this plow anymore. Only the newer unimount design. Oh well, hell, time to get some serious welding experience or find someone to make you the brackets.
At least you have the pics to figure out how to mount it and what you can build. You would only modify the front ears where the pins go thru. You would want a "U" style end so both ends of your a frame would slip into them for pinning.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:01 PM

I didn't see in the pics, but did you get the light kit with your plow? Also does your cab control, mount on the dash or is it the wired remote that you can lay on your seat? I'd guess by the style, you have the underdash unit with the long bat handle switches. Both are good, wiring it into a hand unit is so much easier. Just a thought you might want to consider, if you have the older design. Good luck.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:04 PM

I has the stick shift style control box. Not a wired remote you can lay in the seat. I got the deal dirt cheap and all the parts are there including lights.

I didn't see in the pics, but did you get the light kit with your plow? Also does your cab control, mount on the dash or is it the wired remote that you can lay on your seat? I'd guess by the style, you have the underdash unit with the long bat handle switches. Both are good, wiring it into a hand unit is so much easier. Just a thought you might want to consider, if you have the older design. Good luck.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by alphamale357
Okay, I have both MIG and stick welders here, and have been welding since 1976 so welding and fabricating the mounting system won't be a problem.

My main concern was the Fords ability to hold such a heavy plow with torsion bars...
Crank the bars up some to facilitate the weight change. It is a lot of weight for the wheel brgs and front components more than the bars themselves. The Dodges that one business is using is torsion bars on a 1/2 ton shortbox, so the TB aren't the problem. Put some weight in the bed and you should be good.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1997 F150 lariat adding snow plow