Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Buying new shocks

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 07:21 AM
Oklahoma

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Buying new shocks

Hello, I plan on getting a set of 2.5" HBS leveling struts for the front and replacing the shocks(front and back). I was wondering what kind I should get?? I never really off road, and if i do it's not rough. I have a 04 5.4L Lariat 2wd. Not looking for something expensive. I'm kinda a noob at this area of the truck.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:42 AM
jaxwireman

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Unless you want a specific look, like lowering or raising and need a different shock or strut for that, I would recommend a factory shock (monroe) if you want a more performance type, get a Beilstien. I have them on my lightning and then you could go with the Rancho 5000 series, one thing is on the front they are a coilover shock. Buy the strut with the spring already assembled, spring probably needs replacing if the strut does anyhow and makes ans easier install. Good Luck!
Old 11-19-2012, 12:46 AM
Oklahoma

Yeah, a friend of mine said that the coil should still be good, but that the shock is bad. I guess I'll see when I go buy some. Also, i'm not too worried about performance as new ones should help anyway. But Do want to make sure my front of my truck does raise up at least 2". I know the HBS ket will help, but do I need a certain type of shock to make that happen or should a factory shock be fine??
Old 11-19-2012, 12:57 AM

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I went with the Monroe SensaTrac struts/shocks. I've only installed the struts so far but they are doing a great job, can find good a good price on amazon! Good luck.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:00 PM

why not just get the bilstein leveling shocks, that way you dont need to buy shocks AND a HBS kit. The spring perch on the new bilstein leveling shock sits higher, terfore leveling your truck out without the need of a spacer. I put the Pro Comp Pro runner SS leveling shocks in my truck and like them alot. About 100$ a piece from autoanything.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:16 PM

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by freebird518
why not just get the bilstein leveling shocks, that way you dont need to buy shocks AND a HBS kit. The spring perch on the new bilstein leveling shock sits higher, terfore leveling your truck out without the need of a spacer. I put the Pro Comp Pro runner SS leveling shocks in my truck and like them alot. About 100$ a piece from autoanything.

^^^^^^^^ x 2 If I did it all over again I would definately go with the Bilsteins. I have bilsteins for my rear shocks and have Gabriel Quick Struts on the front with a 2.5 in HBS leveling kit on a 2004 f150 5.4 4x4. I could have saved time and money with the adjustable bilsteins up front but like someone else said, if your struts are bad you would be better off to replace the coil and the strut at the same time.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Freebird..explain a little bit about your ride and what level your set at..I want these Pro Runners for the leveling...but want a decent ride..I dont drive my truck everyday..so a little difference wont matter...I just dont want a log wagon..sorry dont mean to jack your thread ..Freebird..PM me if you want
Old 11-19-2012, 05:28 PM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by freebird518
I've been considering the pro runner up front on my truck... Would you say it's well worth it for these struts? I was also considering bilstein adjustable's set at zero lift with my 2.5 inch level spacer on top..
Old 11-20-2012, 02:11 AM

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Every time I read about some using the struts to level they complain that the ride is really rough and stiff... That's why I went with the HBS Leveling kit on top of new shocks.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Especial86

I've been considering the pro runner up front on my truck... Would you say it's well worth it for these struts? I was also considering bilstein adjustable's set at zero lift with my 2.5 inch level spacer on top..
Procomp pro runners suck in IMO I'm having sagging issues! They won't warranty it

Quick Reply: Buying new shocks