Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

1991 F150 Stalls in Reverse - Engine Cuts Off

Old 09-05-2012, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1991 F150 Stalls in Reverse - Engine Cuts Off

The other day I took my 1991 F150, 302 engine, to the grocery store and when I tried to put the truck in reverse it stalled out. Restarted the truck and got the same thing over and over. Pushed the truck out of the spot and got it to start in neutral then shifted into drive. The truck only stalled one time on the way home. When I got home I got online and noticed many people have had simliar issues but different solutions. One person changed the Throttle Position Sensory (TPS) to fix their issue, another changed the Neutral Transmission Sensor on the trany, another mentioned how the trany filter must have dropped into the pan and readjusting this should fix the problem. After giving all my options a little thought I decided to double check what my truck was doing. The power to my ignition was quick to turn off and when the wires were wiggled behind the dash next to the steering column the issue went away and then came back.

MY ISSUE WAS FIXED BY REPLACING THE "IGNITION STARTER SWITCH" WHICH IS MOUNTED TO THE TOP OF THE STEERING COLUMN BEHIND THE DASH.

The plastic part of this piece had started moving away from the metal housing causing the connection to be lost and the truck to shut down when shifted into reverse.

Good luck and may you still have a wallet when you figure out your issue!

God Bless

Last edited by Matt Bruback; 09-05-2012 at 05:16 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1991 F150 Stalls in Reverse - Engine Cuts Off