Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brake controller

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake controller

Hey guys, I'm new here, just picked up this nice 09 f150.
The problem is I wanted this truck to have a trailer brake controller, but the dealer couldn't find me one with it, but i ordered the part, and installed it, very simple.
The problem I am having is that is powers up on start up then the display goes out. When I hook up the trailer, the display does the same, and I have no control.
Perhaps there are more parts to add???
Does anyone know?
Thanks for any help I can get thanks.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:18 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Sounds like its being powered up in the start mode only, not in the run mode, Here's a site for future reference, hoping they have 09 Models. Go to, www.search.ebscohost.com

USER: greatfalls
PASS: publiclibrary

Select auto repair, year, make ect..
Old 01-27-2009, 09:01 PM

Thanks Bill, I'll take a look at that website

Last edited by Ernie's 5oh; 01-27-2009 at 09:16 PM.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:26 PM

Thanks bill, nothing there for the 09 trucks.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:50 PM

Angry trailer brake controller

Ernie,
I did the same thing. I bought a 2009 f150 without the integrated brake controller and was led to believe I could have it installed later. It even says in the owners manual that this is a factory or dealer installed option. I bought the ford integrated brake controller, installed it and it only flashes on when you first turn the key on and then nothing. I hooked it up to a trailer to make sure it wasn't working. I'm very interested if you are able to make this work as my local ford dealer says he cannot find out how to make it work.
Control Freak
Old 02-11-2009, 09:03 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I will try to fine out from my contacts at the local dealership here in Vegas, no guarentees.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:12 AM

Default Where did you plug in the controller?

control freak and Ernie's - Am curious as to where your brake controller plugs in. I posted in a similar thread here. 2 dealers' service reps looked under the dash of my new '09 and find nowhere to plug in a brake controller. Like 2008 and prior years had an obvious open 6 pin connector under the dash as standard equipment/standard wiring regardless of whether one ordered the tow package (my new truck has the trailer tow package option). My '09 came with a 14 pin jumper in the glovebox for the brake controller (along with instructions and 2 fuses). Instructions say it also works with all aftermarket brake controllers e.g. Tekonsha. Don't care if its 14 pin or 6 pin - where did you find a connector under dash or in console? Thanks.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:10 PM

The plug is attached to the little bin Ford put in place of the brake controller on the '09's. Unclip it and pull it to wherever you need it.

How much did you pay for the factory controller? My dealer quoted me $500.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:52 AM

Default Brake Controller - Some Answers

Found the brake controller connector yesterday after taking apart half the dashboard on my new 2009 f150. How annoyed am I right now with Ford? Three different Ford dealer service mgrs/advisers looked under my dash and told me there is no brake controller connector. They assumed that after like decades of an open connector kinda hanging there that in 2009 Ford no longer supplies a connector. Impossible I said. All trucks have them as standard wiring, heck I even ordered the tow package. Even after showing them the sealed package that was in my glovebox containing the 14 pin jumper harness, 2 fuses, and instruction manual they swore that the 14 pin jumper had no mate under the dash. One service dept. had just sent home an f350 owner telling him tough luck on your brake controller, start splicing into wires. Heck, even the instruction manual was wrong - it included a diagram showing the connector at the bottom of the dash near your right leg. Apparently the factory is playing hide and seek with the dealers or the service depts. are too lazy to look in their service manuals/computer.

Okay, the 14 pin connector is about 6" above where the diagram shows it should be found. The connector is plugged into the back of the little cubbyhole to the left of the climate control heating a/c control buttons. Like its a little plastic cubbyhole that can hold no more than a cigarette pack. Pull it out from the dash and Voila! the 14 pin connector is plugged into the back of the cubbyhole. See all the pretty wires that include your white, red, blue, and green - all the trimmings that the collective brainpower of Ford dealers and Detroit Customer Relations swore were not there. Unbelievable! Thanks Ford for making me rip apart half the dashboard on my new truck. You need those two fuses (positions #9 and #21 on my f150 power distribution box) to keep a charge on your trailer's battery. Side note - there are other unused harnesses that also used to hang that are now stored hidden plugged into plastic behind the dash so if you are wiring aftermarket start yanking your dash apart to find the connectors.

Tied my Tekonsha Voyager wires into the 14 pin jumper, mated the jumper with the connector, and now my trailer has electric brakes. Don't know about your $500 quote. Saw the Ford Integrated Brake Controller option at $230, maybe the rest is installation. My Tekonsha Voyager was $35.00 new on ebay and of course installed it myself since Ford is incapable.

And thanks to Littlestream Auto Accessories in New Holland, PA who had not done any 2009 Ford brake controller installations but assured me over the phone that the Ford dealers were wrong and suggested pulling off pieces of the dash. Would have been easier to locate the connector if the Ford manual that came with the truck showed where a factory installed brake controller would be located on the dash cause thats where you would look for the connector.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:18 AM

Angry trailer brake controller

The dealers in my area will sell you the integrated brake controller for $338. It doesn't do you any good because like ERNIE 50, I bought one and installed it and it still won't work. Installation only took 5 minutes. My local dealer tried hard to find out if any other parts were needed and eventually were told by headquarters that it is impossible to install the integrated brake controller in a 2009 F150 that does not come from the factory with one. I now have an expensive Ford integrated brake controller that will not work and no technical support from Ford. I recommend to others who are considering the purchase of a 2009 F150 for towing to only buy one with the factory installed unit to avoid this headache!

Quick Reply: brake controller