Topic Sponsor
South Central AR, CO, KS, LA, MO, OK

Colorado Members!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 08:25 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Cool

Originally Posted by Blackout2012
Just moved into our house in the Loveland area....spent the last 1-1/2yrs in the Dallas-Fort Worth area and couldn't wait to be back to Colorado...I will never leave again!
And you can't beat the weather! We don't have snow sticking around for months like those poor saps back east.

Maybe I'm prejudiced though, I'm a 7th generation colorado native. It's in my genes!

Anyone on the south side of Denver want to get together one weekend and install the tailgate lock actuator? If we had a few it would probably be a nice assembly line to get it done. I have the actuator ($7 amazon) and need to get some wire and something to use for a bracket.
Old 05-10-2014, 06:50 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

There's some good looking CO trucks here! I've gotta say I'm jealous of you all still in Colorado. I grew up in Grand Junction and lived a couple of years in Paonia. Been working in North Dakota since 2010 and my wife and I decided to make the move up in 2013. We miss the hell out of the mountains!! I might have the prospect of moving down to the Greeley area, we are hoping that works out! If it does looks like I'll be in good company!
Old 05-29-2014, 01:56 PM
Built not Bought

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Anyone want a Fabtech lift? (04-08 4WD) I think i want to go long travel so I need some stock components. Would pretty much be a swap of your stock stuff for the fabtech lift. I would include everything, even brand new rear shocks. $2000 plus your stock stuff??

Let me know!!
Old 07-08-2014, 09:50 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Hey From South Denver

Hey guys. I've been on the forum for a little while now, but never commented on this post. I've been back in CO for about a year now.

The last couple times I've taken my truck to the dealer I bought it at I have been less than impressed with the service. The first time around they didn't change my oil filter when I got the oil changed so I had to bring it back and have them put a new one on. Then a couple weeks ago I made an appointment for a 60k check up, when I bring it in they told me it was too backed up for them to accept it and that they were at least two or three more days out.

Im not writing this to bash on the dealer or complain, but I was wondering were guys in the Denver Metro area take their trucks. It doesn't have to be a dealership, I have heard good things about a few shops with ASE Cert. mechanics and I thought I would check here first. Thanks!
Old 07-09-2014, 08:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Corylax18
Hey guys. I've been on the forum for a little while now, but never commented on this post. I've been back in CO for about a year now.

The last couple times I've taken my truck to the dealer I bought it at I have been less than impressed with the service. The first time around they didn't change my oil filter when I got the oil changed so I had to bring it back and have them put a new one on. Then a couple weeks ago I made an appointment for a 60k check up, when I bring it in they told me it was too backed up for them to accept it and that they were at least two or three more days out.

Im not writing this to bash on the dealer or complain, but I was wondering were guys in the Denver Metro area take their trucks. It doesn't have to be a dealership, I have heard good things about a few shops with ASE Cert. mechanics and I thought I would check here first. Thanks!
I have one of the trucks with the battery warning issue that people around the US and Canada have been fighting. There may be more than one issue causing this but of the many people dealing with it mine appears to have been resolved by the folks at Groove Ford. It took them 3 tries but it's been nearly 2 months and they seem to have resolved the issue. I am not aware of anyone else who's had this issue who's gotten it solved short of trading in the truck.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:21 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Corylax18

Which dealer have you been going to? I despise the Courtesy Svc dept. they just suck, Are obnoxious and expensive. Despite that, I've bought 3 cars from the dealership over the past ten years because the sales process is great. Every one of those cars ended up elsewhere for service though.

I've been taking my truck to Groove, and am very happy with them if you're up to trying a dealer again.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:31 AM

Default Spot on

Originally Posted by ColoradoCruiser
Which dealer have you been going to? I despise the Courtesy Svc dept. they just suck, Are obnoxious and expensive. Despite that, I've bought 3 cars from the dealership over the past ten years because the sales process is great. Every one of those cars ended up elsewhere for service though.

I've been taking my truck to Groove, and am very happy with them if you're up to trying a dealer again.

Yeah, I had been taking it to Courtesy. The sales process was great, and service was OK a few years ago, but since Ive moved back its been very bad. I ended up taking it to a place about 5 min away from Courtesy Called "Bills Automotive" He was a Master Tech a Courtesy for about 13 years. He left in 02' if I remember correctly. He works on all makes/models and has two Dynos. He looked at the truck, drove it around, called Phil Long Ford and Courtesy and asked them the same questions.

He couldn't find any issues with my suspension, but recommended that I have the tires looked at. He also found out that Phil Long ford could do the 60 k service for cheaper than he could.(Fluids, alignment, plugs, a few other things) Courtesy only Recommended an Oil Change at 60K Hahaha. He didn't charge me a dime, and seemed to be very honest with me.

He Recommended Phil Long Fords Service department, I guess a few guys left Courtesy around the same time he did and went over there. I will look into Groove though, I hadn't even thought of them.

Last edited by Corylax18; 07-10-2014 at 11:21 AM.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:19 AM

Default Dynoe Tuning

I mentioned in the post above that Bill has two Dynos at his shop as well. A 2wd and a state certified AWD that he does emissions testing on.

He also does Dyno Tuning for a bunch of Makes, including Ford and the Modular Motors. He also works with SCT, Diablosport, Edge, Etc.

I have an SCT Livewire, a K&N intake and a fully custom exhaust. I had 5 star write the first set of tunes I got for me when I lived in Kansas City, they worked fine there, but when I moved back to CO I start tripping "Lean O2 Bank 1 or 2" codes regularly. I have worked with Mike at 5 Star to get the tunes re worked to prevent the codes from tripping but we haven't been able to get it figured out.

Mike has been great to work with, but at this point I just don't think its possible for him to figure out the right A/F ratio for this altitude from his computer in N.C.

Bill at Bills Automotive charges $425 per custom Tune, regardless of how long it takes him to get it written. This includes all his time, Dyno time, etc. If the cost were about half that it would be a no brainer, but $425 is a bit steep.

Are any of you guys running custom tunes or have any of you had dyno tuning done here in CO? Anybody else have trouble with these codes?
Old 07-11-2014, 09:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been holding off doing a tune because of the electrical system issues my truck had (I hope LOL!) So Mike charges 425 per tune, is that to write a tune to a chip or a programmer you have to buy? Sounds spendy if he's charging that for writing a tune to a tuner you have to drop what, 400 bucks on?
Old 07-11-2014, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Larsen00
I've been holding off doing a tune because of the electrical system issues my truck had (I hope LOL!) So Mike charges 425 per tune, is that to write a tune to a chip or a programmer you have to buy? Sounds spendy if he's charging that for writing a tune to a tuner you have to drop what, 400 bucks on?

Yeah the $425 is if you have a tuner already. It is a bit steep. The tunes the people email you (most of the vendors on here) are better than canned tunes from the tuner/chip manufacturers, but not much.

They really only address WOT fuel mapping and some of them can get into the transmission and mess with shift points/firmness.

When you put it on a dyno and hook it up to a computer he writes a custom fuel map for the truck for the entire RPM/Throttle position range. You can really fine tune TB position, fuel delivery, and timing at different RPMs to make sure the engine is running at the best Air-Fuel ratio. (14.something to 1) Its stuff you just cant do with the emailed tunes.

It costs so much more than those because it takes hours to do and you have to pay for the Dyno/Shop time. The guys with the email tunes could be doing it from the basement with a laptop for all I know. Haha

Like I said, I don't have anything against 5 star, or any of the other guys on here. I am happy with what I paid for what I have. With mild modifications and semi custom tunes you see good improvement in the truck. I just want the "Lean O2 Bank" messages to stop tripping, and why not pick up a few more HP and some drive-ability at the same time?

Quick Reply: Colorado Members!