Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

86 F150 300 inline problems

Old 06-14-2007, 11:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 86 F150 300 inline problems

alright here goes. ran rough when i got it and backfired real bad. I put new plugs, wires, cap, and rotor on. It ran a little better. Took off the smog pump, egr, cat, and the backfire went away and starting running a bit better. Then we put a new distributor, new module on the dist, new throttle position sensor and o2 sensor. Still hesitates. It runs rough up to about 1800 rpm and then cleans up a little. Then you get to 2800 or so and it cleans up and runs perfect. We have checked all of the vacuum stuff and are just at a loss. any ideas guys? Appreciate the help guys

Josh

Oh and a new map sensor didnt help
Old 06-15-2007, 07:23 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I didn't see a fuel filter in that list. Might try that. Possibly the O2 sensor if its totally wacked will cause a running condition. With the older Fords there is no data stream to look at. And I don't know the volt specs off the top of my head for it.
Old 06-15-2007, 12:48 PM

yeah i put a new fuel filter on and a new 02 sensor. Thinking about putting an older carb and mechanical distributor on it just to make it run, and do away with the electronics all together.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:43 PM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Do a compression test first. See what comes up.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:50 PM

we are actually goin to do the comp test before the carb and dist. just forgot to mention it.

josh
Old 06-28-2007, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by joshco84
alright here goes. ran rough when i got it and backfired real bad. I put new plugs, wires, cap, and rotor on. It ran a little better. Took off the smog pump, egr, cat, and the backfire went away and starting running a bit better. Then we put a new distributor, new module on the dist, new throttle position sensor and o2 sensor. Still hesitates. It runs rough up to about 1800 rpm and then cleans up a little. Then you get to 2800 or so and it cleans up and runs perfect. We have checked all of the vacuum stuff and are just at a loss. any ideas guys? Appreciate the help guys

Josh

Oh and a new map sensor didnt help
This sound just like the situtation I just had with my 85'. Does yours have the ingition module on the bottom of your distributor? if so check the plug. Mine the lock is broke and it does not seal good all the time and it will let moisture in. I unpluged mine cleaned it off good and sprayed WD-40 in it wipped it down and plugged it back up and it stopped backfiring. i would check both plugs if yours is like mine. I just bought mine about 2 weeks ago and that fixed mine...Plus I learned not to wash off the engine on that side like I did Let us know what you find out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 86 F150 300 inline problems