Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Throttle actuator control system

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle actuator control system

I have a 2004 f-150 that my son was just about to give away for next to nothing because it would not idle. There is a code p2106 - throttle actuator control system malfunction, forced limited power. Instead of him taking the truck (new family low funds) to be seen about he would just drive it with two feet! When i brought the truck home i noticed that between 55 & 70 mph the truck would shake real bad and i thought the oversized tire were just out of balanced. I read some of the other threads about the throttle actuator and didn't see anything about the vehicles not idling. Could someone please help me out in this area. Thanks in advance!
Old 05-15-2012, 08:16 PM

The throttle body actuator is the motor that moves the throttle body blade and is usually integrated into the throttle body itself and not serviceable. If that is the cause of the code, the whole throttle body would have to be replaced.

But that isn't necessarily the cause of the code and the problem you're having, it could be a number of things including damaged wiring. Check out this thread for some tips: https://www.f150forum.com/f4/p2106-please-help-130199/

Search google and read as much as you can about "obd p2106" and maybe throw "ford" in there too and you'll find others asking the same question and hopefully finding an answer.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:39 PM
Custom Enthusiast

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Someone told me they replaced only the actuator assembly for like 90 bucks you can see it bolted on to the side of a tb in one picture all rusted n chit
Old 05-15-2012, 11:07 PM
Resident Metalhead

I had an issue I was tracking down and eventually my truck would not idle for about 2 days if you let your foot off the gas. I searched these boards to get an idea after I pulled the P2106 code and didn't find anyone having a problem with holding idle either, just dying, which I already had. I was able to replace just the throttle position sensor, though you may have to replace the whole throttlebody if that's your problem. The new TPS took care of the issue for me, do some diagnostic work first if you can before shelling out the cash for anything though.

EDIT: ctsv510 was mentioning the actuator itself, this code is related to the entire throttlebody control system. This could include the TPS, the actuator motor itself, the wiring, etc. It's unlikely that the actuator itself is bad, more likely it's the TPS. Check the wiring to all of that first and see if anything is frayed or damaged as a start.

Last edited by Jawsh; 05-15-2012 at 11:11 PM.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:46 AM

Default Throttle actuator ctr sys

THANKS TO ALL FOR THE INFORMATION! CAN ANYONE ADVISE WHAT THE BEST REPAIR MANUAL AVAILABLE FOR THE 2004 F-150 4DR IS? THANKS AGAIN TO EVERYONE FOR MAKE THIS EXPERIENCE PAINLESS! THIS IS THE FIRST TIME I EVER TRIED ONE OF THESE FORUMS AND I HAVE ENJOYED JUST READING ALL THE INFORMATION ON ALL THE DIFFERENT PROBLEMS FORD OWNERS EXPERIENCE.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:21 PM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Haynes or Chiltons repair manuals work good...$20 at your local Autpo Parts store
Old 05-17-2012, 03:01 AM
Resident Metalhead

Like techrep said, Haynes or Chiltons. I have a Haynes and it's spot on. Glad to help you out, and make your first forum experience a good one!

Quick Reply: Throttle actuator control system