Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Class Action Suit for Ecoboost problems?

Old 05-14-2012, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Class Action Suit for Ecoboost problems?

Does anyone know if anyone has brought a class action suit against Ford yet for the ecoboost problems?

I have 27,xxx on my f150 ecoboost, and it has been in the shop 4+ times. Once the window decided to roll up on its own. But the main stuff has been the same problem everyone else is having...that is, you go to pass a vehicle and the engine all be gives up the ghost. It starts shaking violently and feels like every nut and bolt is about to come loose. This has happened numerous times to me, each time I'm told nothing shows up on the computer. It recently happened again, and I have it on video this time. It goes to the dealer soon. In the past, they replaced a converter, but this did not fix it. It has done it 2 times since it was replaced. The first time it did it, it had less than 4000miles on it.

When it first happened, the truck was new and there wasn't a lot on the internet about the problem, but now you can run a simple search and see that this is a big problem that a lot have. You would think Ford would address the issue. I have $35k+ invested in my piece of junk that just turned a year old.

What remedies have the dealers/ford been giving to the people with these problems?

Thanks
Old 05-14-2012, 12:27 PM

Received 482 Likes on 304 Posts

I think we need tort reform.

Seriously, what exactly do you plan on suing them for? You have a warranty and they are fixing what the local dealer can identify. Beyond that, if the problem persists, you should be able to lemon law it. A class action lawsuit serves exactly one purpose...it makes lawyers loads of money, it certainly isnt going to do much of anything for you as an owner.

And what is up with the EB trolls today....two guys with problems on their first post looks a little fishy...
The following 3 users liked this post by 11screw50:
acdii (08-15-2012), AITG (08-18-2012), SpeedofSound (08-12-2012)
Old 05-14-2012, 12:34 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't see a class action going anywhere but it would get Fords attention! This is the exact reason why I stayed away from the eco even though I wanted one, with all the issues I had with my 335 I told myself never again. When it runs smooth there's nothing better when it doesn't there's nothing worse. Hope they figure this out soon.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:37 PM

Well, mine just did it yesterday, so that's why I am posting. To date, the dealer's in my case have failed to correct the problem, because "it doesn't show up on the computer." I don't care who makes the money, as long as my truck gets fixed. Maybe you have money to throw away, but I don't. When you're running down the interstate, you don't want a truck that will stall out on you in the middle of the road with you wife and kid in the vehicle with you. Though I love my engine when it runs right, I'd be happy replacing it with a V8 now after all the problems I've had or even switching to Dodge.

You can call for tort reform, but I'm not the only one experiencing the problem. Run a search in google and you'll find a lot of people have the same issue. Often the threat of a lawsuit is the only reason they do recalls. So you want to give them more protection?
Old 05-14-2012, 12:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could you not use the lemon law....I think after the third time you are entitled to return your vehicle for a full refund. Then get you V8.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:55 PM

Received 270 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Disappointed
Well, mine just did it yesterday, so that's why I am posting. To date, the dealer's in my case have failed to correct the problem, because "it doesn't show up on the computer." I don't care who makes the money, as long as my truck gets fixed. Maybe you have money to throw away, but I don't. When you're running down the interstate, you don't want a truck that will stall out on you in the middle of the road with you wife and kid in the vehicle with you. Though I love my engine when it runs right, I'd be happy replacing it with a V8 now after all the problems I've had or even switching to Dodge.

You can call for tort reform, but I'm not the only one experiencing the problem. Run a search in google and you'll find a lot of people have the same issue. Often the threat of a lawsuit is the only reason they do recalls. So you want to give them more protection?
Hmm, I wonder if this has something to do with the condensation issue with the intercooler... I'm not sure.

I've never had a violent shake with my 5.0 but I have lost power due an overly active stability control system. It only happens when shifting at WOT to 3rd like when you go to pass and it only last 1-2 seconds then I have full power again. Never any shaking. I can remedy this problem by holding the traction control button for about 10 seconds then the stability control tunes off and I never have this problem. If I do not go WOT it doesn't happen and it also hasn't happen since I have tuned my truck(might be coincidence).
On the flip side the stability control might have saved my *** once when An emergency maneuver put me off the road but I would never have known because the truck went exactly where I pointed it. What happened was I was going around a blind bend on a tow lane road when there was a CHP without his sirens on passing another can and we would have been in a head on if I hadn't moved because he was next to the other car.

I wish you luck with this issue, maybe if you can confirm it with video enough you can talk them into putting you into a 5.0...
Old 05-14-2012, 01:05 PM

Received 117 Likes on 83 Posts

If the problem evers rears its ugly head in my direction and I decide it could be caused by a weak Torque Converter chattering... http://www.torqueconverter1.com/Home.html ...these guys will be getting a call. Very reasonable cost compared to someone like Suncoast....
Old 05-14-2012, 01:08 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 11screw50
I think we need tort reform.

Seriously, what exactly do you plan on suing them for? You have a warranty and they are fixing what the local dealer can identify. Beyond that, if the problem persists, you should be able to lemon law it. A class action lawsuit serves exactly one purpose...it makes lawyers loads of money, it certainly isnt going to do much of anything for you as an owner.

And what is up with the EB trolls today....two guys with problems on their first post looks a little fishy...

One of the most intelligent posts I have ever read on f150 forum. Tort Reform is way overdue in this country.

First, we need to reinstate Glass - Steagall.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:22 PM

Received 387 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by Disappointed
Does anyone know if anyone has brought a class action suit against Ford yet for the ecoboost problems?

I have 27,xxx on my f150 ecoboost, and it has been in the shop 4+ times. Once the window decided to roll up on its own. But the main stuff has been the same problem everyone else is having...that is, you go to pass a vehicle and the engine all be gives up the ghost. It starts shaking violently and feels like every nut and bolt is about to come loose. This has happened numerous times to me, each time I'm told nothing shows up on the computer. It recently happened again, and I have it on video this time. It goes to the dealer soon. In the past, they replaced a converter, but this did not fix it. It has done it 2 times since it was replaced. The first time it did it, it had less than 4000miles on it.

When it first happened, the truck was new and there wasn't a lot on the internet about the problem, but now you can run a simple search and see that this is a big problem that a lot have. You would think Ford would address the issue. I have $35k+ invested in my piece of junk that just turned a year old.

What remedies have the dealers/ford been giving to the people with these problems?

Thanks
You have this clearly documented on video. If its plain for all to see in that form, I would being researching lemon law for your state.

If you meet the criteria I would run, not walk to a reputable attorney and being the lemon law process. Do a little more research on here, there is another guy whom has captured his doing this 3 times on video.

Granted lemon laws vary from state to state, however I would communicate via PM to other members experiencing the same isuess in regards to the status of their cases and progress dealing with Ford.

Keep in mind Ford monitors these forums.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:07 PM

I forgot to add, about 10 mins prior to this happening, the truck accelerated on its own. It was like an extra turbo booster kicked in. I was running about 75ish downhill, so I wasn't accelerating on the pedal, and it all of a sudden kicked in until I took my foot completely off the gas. Also, when I was pressing the pedal to pass that caused the shaking, I didn't step on it, it stayed below roughly 4000 rpms the whole time.

I'll continue to update till it gets fixed. The last time I was without a vehicle for 2+weeks without even being given a courtesy vehicle. My truck had less than 12 k on it then. One of the dealers I believe spent the proper time looking at it, the other spent less than an hour. Nonetheless, I think this is a Ford problem and not a dealer problem.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Class Action Suit for Ecoboost problems?