Topic Sponsor
Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

What would be best, locker or limited slip?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 11:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would be best, locker or limited slip?

Hey everyone, i am 17 and new to this site, and have a few questions... i was wondering what would be a better buy, a full locker, or just a limited slip? i do do some decent off roading, but it is also my daily driver... and my budget is around $300... thanks!
Old 12-27-2008, 11:59 AM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

A locker is better than a limited slip, because as the name implies a limited slip will still slip. A selectable locker is best for a daily driver because it acts as an open differential until you lock it in, but they are more expensive. ARB makes a good selectable locker but requires an onboard air source to engage it. There are also electric selectable lockers but I don't know the names. Either of those require drilling a hole through the differential case to pass the air line or wire through.
Old 12-27-2008, 12:25 PM

ok thanks i saw this one and its called an aussie locker... but i dont know how good it really is...
Old 01-10-2009, 12:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aussie locker I have heard that they are good lunchbox lockers, You will reuse your carrier and will not need to remove the carrier so you will not have to set the gear lash. Follow the instructions closely regarding the thrust shims. These are a little stronger than the spider gears you removed so that the factory diff will not suffer a loss in strength.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:17 PM
mmmm.....

if its your daily, i would not put a locker in there unless its a selectable locker. you'll eat back tires like no tomorrow. but it will not be in a $300 price range. gear work is money. limited slip is going to be just as expensive (depending on what brand, model, all that good stuff you go with), but is much more street friendly.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:18 PM

yeaa i have heard the thing about tires, but it seems like the aussie locker is the only thing that is somewhat in my price range...
Old 01-11-2009, 01:12 AM
mmmm.....

you get what you pay for... i say save up and do it the right way unless your running an offroad competition tomorrow.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The lunchbox style locker are automatic and will not tear up tires, they allow for differential action. This is accomplished by letting a tire overrun the ring gear, open or limited slips allow the axles to under run the ring gear, that is spin slower than the ring gear.
Lunch box locker include the Aussie, Detroit ez locker, and lockrite lockers. From the research I have looked at the Aussie seems to be the best for strength. You have to remember that you will force the axles to spin at least as fast as the ring gear. This will make slow turn where you feather the throttle real difficult to manage as it will switch between pushing and pulling depending on whether you are under power or coasting, this is common on all locker.
A spool will tear up tires because it does not allow for any differentiation between the axles.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:21 AM
mmmm.....

a locker will tear up the tires as well.... my yota had a detroit in it and tore up back tires bad. and if its raining, you might as well not even hit the gas hard at all, but then again, it did have a 350... donuts were fun with those 35s though.

lunchbox lockers are only as strong as the carrier they are installed in too.. so if you running anything bigger than 33s and have some mild horsepower to the wheels, expect your 8.8 to start having some internal damage as well. do you have money to fix your daily because you skimped on "locking" it the right way?
Old 01-11-2009, 02:58 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by tonkatruck66
a locker will tear up the tires as well.... my yota had a detroit in it and tore up back tires bad. and if its raining, you might as well not even hit the gas hard at all, but then again, it did have a 350... donuts were fun with those 35s though.

lunchbox lockers are only as strong as the carrier they are installed in too.. so if you running anything bigger than 33s and have some mild horsepower to the wheels, expect your 8.8 to start having some internal damage as well. do you have money to fix your daily because you skimped on "locking" it the right way?
You're speaking of the Toyota in the past tense. Did you get rid of that already?

Quick Reply: What would be best, locker or limited slip?