Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No-drill tool box mounting

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No-drill tool box mounting

I put a crossbed box in my dead-sexy '05 F150 today and did it without drilling any holes in bed rails. When I had Chevy or Dodge trucks I didn't really care, but this being an F-Series...well, I'm sure I'm not the only one on this site reluctant to go drilling holes in my truck. There's another piece of heavy steel angle in the middle of the box for the transverse rods to attach to. I used all 5/16" material, but I'm gonna keep an eye on to see if I have to go bigger. I don't really like the aluminum turnbuckles either, but that's all Lowe's had. If I have any issues with this mounting technique I'll let you know.
Attached Images  
Old 12-15-2008, 05:51 PM
Ty

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A thief with a screwdriver could make off with the box and everything inside of it in under 5 minutes.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:05 PM
Inspector Man

Originally Posted by Ty
A thief with a screwdriver could make off with the box and everything inside of it in under 5 minutes.
If they want it bad enough, they'll get it even if you bolt it down, it just depends on how much damage you want them to do in the process.

In the past, I've actually used industrial strength velcro to keep my boxes on. You just stick the claw of your hammer in between the bed cap and the tool box to pry each side up and it comes right out. When it's down, it sits flush so it's tough to tell that's how it's attached, and without tools, it's pretty difficult to pry up anyway.

This method is pretty clever, causes no damage, it's pretty discrete in terms of security, and shows some good ingenuity. Nicely done.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Ty
I hadn't considered that. I never leave my work tools in there overnight, but things like chains and shackles stay in there. I think I'll opt for minimal damage over maximum security.

Good idea with the velcro - I'd have never thought of that!
Old 12-15-2008, 07:55 PM
No Pain, No Pain!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...025&lpage=none
Old 12-15-2008, 08:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use this simple tool call gravity. When the box was empty i put foam sticky tape on the parts that touch the bed. I then filled the box while it was up there.

It has locks on it and i'd love to see a theif try and take the box. It has to weigh at least 500lbs. Didnt need to bolt it in or secure it. The box has never moved an inch, no matter what happens
Old 12-15-2008, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by wakonako
I use this simple tool call gravity. When the box was empty i put foam sticky tape on the parts that touch the bed. I then filled the box while it was up there.

It has locks on it and i'd love to see a theif try and take the box. It has to weigh at least 500lbs. Didnt need to bolt it in or secure it. The box has never moved an inch, no matter what happens
I've had more than my share of run-ins with gravity. Scary stuff, especially when you get an extra-large dose of it on a motorcycle. Glad to hear that you've found a more productive use for it than I have!
Old 12-16-2008, 10:34 PM

why didnt you just use the j hooks that usually come with the toolbox? it doesnt require drilling into the bedcaps. always worked good for me, or am i missing something here????
Old 12-17-2008, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by boxer712
why didnt you just use the j hooks that usually come with the toolbox? it doesnt require drilling into the bedcaps. always worked good for me, or am i missing something here????
This was a craigslist find that didn't come with anything for mounting it. Had I known about those clamps from Lowe's I probably would have gone that route, but I just had an idea and ran with it.
Old 12-20-2008, 07:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wakonako

Just some thoughts, Have you ever thought what would happen if you had an accident?
That box will turn into a 500 LB missile and could kill you, someone else or damage another vehicle.

What about if you have a sudden stop and hit something it would toss that box up and crush the passenger compartment of your truck

Quick Reply: No-drill tool box mounting