Topic Sponsor

05 Expedition 5.4 triton Timing issues

Old 03-24-2012, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Expedition 5.4 triton Timing issues

Hello first time poster here I have a 5.4 that i just replaced lots of parts on and am still having issues. original issue was rough idle and p0012 code and p0021 code and missfire on cylinder 3 so i took valve covers off to find left side glides were missing no tension on chain pieces everywere probally sitting in my oil pan. So far I replaced 2 vct solonoids 2 cam phazers both timing chains all new glides and both sides tensioner timed everything using help from this site with double marked links on each phazer marks and single mark on crank sprocket dot so i think it should me timed right. When i took off timing cover i found left side of cover black like it was starved for oil same thing with phazer different color than the right side wich looked new. So my question is what would cause this side of engine to starve for oil and is this why its still not running right. I didnt inspect the piece the vct solonoid goes into could this be my problem any help would be great Ive got alot of time in this i hope its salvagable Thanks for your help
Rick
Old 03-25-2012, 09:47 AM

So what's your problem now? All you say is that it's still not running right.

Did you pull the oil pan and clean the pickup strainer?

If you say the engine didn't have uniform varnish, it could have some blocked oil passages, but it could also be blocked cooling passages. How many miles? Have you done oil or coolant flushes?

J
Old 03-25-2012, 03:09 PM

I found the issue this morning number 3 coil was missing the metal spring to create spark in the boot of the coil it must have fell out when i disasembled it originally and i didnt notice, put a new one on started right up runs perfect lol. So now i have to drop the oil pan and get the debris out of the pan Thanks for your input Is there anything else i should do once i remove the debris should i flush coolant system or anything else
Thanks Rick
Old 03-26-2012, 01:27 AM

Getting the pieces out if the pan is one thing, but look up in the strainer. There'll likely be pieces in there too, starving your pump.

I honestly don't know about the different colors issue, but I'd give both the oil and the coolant a good flush just in case.

J
Old 03-26-2012, 08:15 AM

Ok so i havent dropped the pan yet i got sidetracked yesterday but now theres another issue maybe related to debri in oil pan because i know these engenes need good pressure for the vct sylonoinds to work properly, so when its cold it runs perfect now like a new truck but as soon as it warmed up it started missing again and backfiring so i scanned the engine its saying cylinder 2,4,and 5 dectected missfire i just replaced all the plugs when i did the timing set and phazers could all these coils be bad at one time or should i look at fuel injectors This truck has about 125,000 miles on it Thanks for your Help

Rick
Old 03-26-2012, 08:50 AM

What brand of plugs? Did any break during replacement?

Since it runs good cold (when the VCT is inactive), it's possible there's an issue with the VCT solenoids, but it could also be a lack of oil pressure or if you didn't use motorcraft plugs, that's a possibility too.

J
Old 03-26-2012, 09:43 AM

I used motorcraft plugs none broke they were just done 20,000 miles ago but decided to replace them again since i had everything apart and the vct cylonoids were just replaced i did it when i did the phazers its weird that its showing 3 cylinder missfires could it be a bent valve from when it jumped timing from the guides breaking or would it run terribly the whole time if that was the case Thanks
Rick
Old 03-26-2012, 12:50 PM

In my experience, a bent valve will affect operation
Old 03-26-2012, 12:52 PM

Oop, sent too soon.

Affect the operation throughout the range. You could do a compression check on the cylinders to confirm.

I'd probably start swapping cops around to see if the misfires move and follow the cops.

J
Old 03-26-2012, 09:12 PM

Ok ill try that and see what happens didnt get to try today got off work to late ill try tomorrow thanks alot for your help

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 05 Expedition 5.4 triton Timing issues