Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Driveshaft problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 03:56 PM
Dethdfire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Driveshaft problems

Ok so 3 days ago i noticed i had a real bad leak from my rear diff. I checked my oil and there was nothing. It was only after my 300 mile trip that i noticed oil covering my tailgate, topper, and the entirety of the underside of my truck from the rear diff back. I can fix this issue, but my question is this... Why did it go out in the first place?? I noticed my weights have slung off. A year ago, my (main ring weight??) (ring on my drive shaft) ring weight got hit and cracked off while i changed my ujoints. I was told by a driveshaft guy that its not a necessary part and i dont need to replace it. I also have had my 3" blocks in the back since i bought the truck. I read somewhere that new angles make vibrations while driving. And is there a way to check and see if your driveshaft is on how its supposed to be, if its "in phase"?
Lots of smarter people than me needed, THANK YOU
Old 03-21-2012, 10:10 PM

Received 140 Likes on 99 Posts

First, your drive shaft should be balanced. If you've lost a weight you should take it to a drive line shop and get it repaired. Pinion seals can last for ever or go 10000 miles. I doubt an out of balance shaft will take out a pinion seal. Pinion bearing packing it in can take out a pinion seal . If a pinion brg is gone you will feel "up & down" play on the pinion shaft if you grab it and try to move side to side or up and down.

New drive shaft angles will not nessisarily cause a vibration - increased angles can cause more strain on the u joints and take them out sooner. If the dl angles are sharp enough to cause the u joints to bind you will get a vibration. Seized u joints can also cause a vibration. Wore out u joints will clunk usually - may not notice a vibration. drive shafts out of phase may cause u joint binding ergo a vibration. If you separate a 2 pc shaft and don't re assemble exactly the same you can get a vibration. If you replace the u joints and don't line the yokes up the same you can get a -- yup vibration.
Proper phasing is when all the yokes line up excactly - in a straight line and yokes line proprerly. The "Y" of the yokes need to match directions of pointing. You can get the yoke of one shaft out of phase with the yoke of the other.
Now back to the leaking pinion seal. Tall grass it gets wrapped around the pinion yoke it can work into the seal and take it out. Anything that can get into the lip of the seal can take it out. A little hard to do but not impossible. Mud, dirt, sand etc.
Or the seal can just wear out and leak.

Last edited by Phyer Phyter; 03-22-2012 at 12:03 AM.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:35 PM
Dethdfire

Waiting for your knowledge
Old 03-23-2012, 01:57 AM
Dethdfire

Well, i live i ungodly amounts of snow and ice, so that could be the reason. Or it just got old and blew out, either way, the seal isnt my problem cuz i have the parts to fix it and know where to look for possible problems, except if the phase of my driveshaft is wrong... I dont know if i put my driveshaft on wrong at one point. Is there anyway to check and see if my phase is correct or incorrect?

Quick Reply: Driveshaft problems