Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Undercover Flex or Bakflip?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Undercover Flex or Bakflip?

I've tried searching but had a question I haven't been able to find the answer to. Everything I've come up with says the Undercover Flex folding cover is a good quality unit that is very similar to the Bakflip F1. The big difference I've found is that the Flex is 'cheaper' than the Backflip, which is what I'm curious about. The best price I've found on the undercover is $726, while the F1 I can find for $801. That isn't as much as the $200 savings I been reading about. Anyone know a better deal than the $726 on the Flex I've found? I plan to install it myself, so just looking to get it shipped. For ref...I have a 2011 FX4 5.5ft bed.

I did get a chance to look at the little displays of both in a local store. They are pretty similar. Wish the guys there had been able to give me more info, however they didn't seem to know much about either system. The two things I found different....when folded open the Bakflip has no protection between the folded panels while the Flex had small rubber spacers. With no protection, the Bakflips display had some damage from being opened and closed on itself caused from rubbing. I would imagine over time on a real truck it would be worse. It could be the displays had simply fallen off though. The other difference was being able to lock the panels in the up position so they wouldn't be resting on the paint/window of my brand new truck...

Any other info?
Old 03-02-2012, 10:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

CAnt comment on the flex, my backflip is holding up pretty good though.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you started this thread, as I'm currently in the market for the flex, and any info/pricing/discounts always helps!
Old 03-02-2012, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by mbingha
Glad you started this thread, as I'm currently in the market for the flex, and any info/pricing/discounts always helps!

From what I saw in my local store the two are so similar they could be twins. The differences are minor. Both look to have the same size panels (length and thickness), both are identical in black color, both have panels that fit inside the bed allowing a flush install, both have little do-hickys on the inside that need to be pulled to allow the next panel up, both claim to seal about 99%, both have the same texture. If I remember correctly the Undercover is able to be taken completley out without removing the rails, while the Bakflip is not.

Hondafan, can you confirm there is no rubber spacers between panels when they're folded back onto each other, or was this just an issue with the display I saw?

For the $70 less you get panels that 'lock' in the up position rather then locking 'against' the truck, panels that can be completly removed at any time fairly easy, and the little rubber spacers that prevent damage when you fold up the panels. Not bad and worth it for the money, I'm just curious where everyone is saying a $200 savings.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad that every thread I've found, I've only heard good things about the flex... I just used some tax money and bit the bullet. Should be here in 7-10 days. Can't wait to install it!
Old 03-02-2012, 10:14 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

So far so good with the undercover flex on my truck. I'm going to try and give the truck it's first bath tomorrow. Looking forward to a clean vehicle for a couple of days.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:40 PM
Zack AKA Doctor guy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

First off I'll say I'm a Bakflip supporter. I just ordered one F1 for my 04 f150.
You can remove the panels off without taking off the rails. The panels of the F1 are made of material no other folding cover has on the market. Along with there are rubber stoppers that come with the F1 that go on the panels where they would touch the back of you "brand new truck". Plus with a 2 year warranty backing that I think Bakflip is the best way to go and you will definately get your money's worth. Just my .02

Last edited by F-150forlife; 03-03-2012 at 12:47 AM.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:40 AM

I purchased the Flex last weekend from 4wheelonline for $670 shipped- you have to call to get that price. I've read here that some folks have had issues with 4wheelonline, but the only issue I had would be communication- received an invoice, but no tracking number.

Anyway it arrived today drop shipped from Undercover and I plan to install tomorrow so right now I can't help with the product itself, but hope the price helps.

Last edited by TnFrosty; 03-03-2012 at 12:51 AM.
Old 03-03-2012, 03:31 AM

I have a bakflip and love it. It does a great job keeping water / snow out and keeping things secure.

I also like that I can take it off in about one minute and put it back on in the same amount of time.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:54 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I just bought and installed a Bakflip Fibermax. I went with the Bak over the Flex, due to the reputation and length of time in production. I actually prefer the folded cover rest against the cab (with the provided attached thick rubber bumpers in place). It seems to me, your aerodynamics would suffer, with it propped away from the back glass like the Flex does, and it would catch a lot of the air trying to flow down to the bed and circulate. With the rubber bumpers, the cover is not going to hurt your back glass if propped correctly, in my opinion.

I haven't gotten the Bakflip wet yet, so I don't know if its water tight. I do like the function so far, and it seems well made, and looks great.

Information I had and was greatful for, before install: use a heat gun to warm up the rubber edge seal, or it won't lay flat.

Information I wish I had: WHEN THEY SAY NOT TO OVERTIGHTEN THE FRONT ANCHOR BOLTS...DON'T!!!!!!! It is very easy to crush the panel, by simply tightening enough to compress the lock washers!!! That is the only flaw or irritation I have with the cover. They should have incorporated some bosses in the panel holes where the bolts drop in, that would eliminate the accidental crushing of the panel like I did. It most likely won't hurt anything, but it looks chincy with the bolts sunken into the panel like that, and will be a spot for water to pool instead of run off.

Oh, and I guess my 2nd concern, concerns the four panel model for the 6.5' beds...the last hinge joint is not latched to the rails there. I assume because the panels wouldn't be able to fold flat and tight, if the latches are installed there. It seems like someone with knowledge of the cover could use this weakness as a means to peek into your cargo or worse, break into your cargo area. Not sure though, I'm not going to go prying on mine to see how easy it would be to do.

Other than that, I am happy with the cover, and think it will be great for what I will use the truck for.

Last edited by Jimbo45; 03-03-2012 at 04:58 AM.

Quick Reply: Undercover Flex or Bakflip?