Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heater- cold one side and warm on the other??

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 10:12 AM
Master Mariner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dale;

Had a very similar problem with my 2011 Lariat, it was the louvers to the heater on the drivers side. The motor that operated those doors had burned out and it took the dealer two days to fix, mine was under warrenty so I didn't get too deep into the details. Hope this helps...
The following users liked this post:
Sinjin (08-25-2021)
Old 03-14-2012, 03:58 PM

My 2010 King Ranch just started this today. Is it definitely the blend door motor? I'm out of warranty. How hard is it to change?

Thanks!
Old 03-14-2012, 04:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mgardner28
My 2010 King Ranch just started this today. Is it definitely the blend door motor? I'm out of warranty. How hard is it to change?

Thanks!
It's a HARD one. My guy took out the dash, drained the AC system and removed the heater to get at all blend door motors. He found debris from a previous accident [repaired truck] Got it working fine. I left for Florida and it soon went back the same way. I haven't told him yet.
Now I have a pair of vise grips clamping off the heater hose under the hood!!
The following users liked this post:
Sinjin (08-25-2021)
Old 03-14-2012, 04:31 PM

Received 131 Likes on 91 Posts

Maybe someone with the problem could post a pic of their console. That would really help narrow down the troubleshooting. There are a couple different configurations. Below is a pic from my '09 without climate control vs my '11 with climate control (or you might have the Nav version).

'09:

'11:

Sorry in advance for the crappy pics. I didn't take them explicitly for this thread but happened to have ones that almost showed the climate controls.

But my best advice is to take it to the dealer if you think something is broken. Worst case ... you take a rental truck on your trip and save the mileage on your truck!
Old 03-14-2012, 08:33 PM

Here is my console. My air worked fine yesterday. Today it is cold on drivers side and super hot on the passenger side. It doesn't make any difference if it is on vent/defroster or floor. The passenger side is hot. It is not on dual control. I tried dual control and the temperature setting for the passenger side has not effect. The drivers side control changes the drivers side temperature as it should. It seems there are more than one blend door. Does the dash have to be removed if there is a problem with any of them?
Attached Thumbnails Heater- cold one side and warm on the other??-img_0004.jpg  
Old 03-15-2012, 12:45 PM

Here is my console. My air worked fine yesterday. Today it is cold on drivers side and super hot on the passenger side. It doesn't make any difference if it is on vent/defroster or floor. The passenger side is hot. It is not on dual control. I tried dual control and the temperature setting for the passenger side has not effect. The drivers side control changes the drivers side temperature as it should. It seems there are more than one blend door. Does the dash have to be removed if there is a problem with any of them?
I have a bit more computer time today to explain. Here is what I learned as my mechanic removed my dash, A/C and heater !!! There are 2 separate blend motors. On on the top of the heater box and one on the bottom. The one on the top can possibly be removed somewhat easily. However the one on the bottom is almost against the hump on the floor. Since it controls the drivers side heat, etc, this is why we had to dismantle so much. My truck had been in a rollover accident and there was broken glass in the bottom of the heater box. [bottom motor turned out to be OK] We cleaned everything, reinstalled and recharged the A/C.. All was working fine till the day I left on my trip. Then it returned to the same problem, which sounds like the same problem you have. I haven't told my mechanic yet! I'll be getting back to this problem but not until I return approx April 10. Please keep us posted on your progress.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:24 PM

I can see the one on the bottom and I can see it moving when I change settings. I hope that is a good sign. Where is the one located on the top? I can't seem to locate it.

Thanks
Old 03-15-2012, 04:49 PM

I can see the one on the bottom and I can see it moving when I change settings. I hope that is a good sign. Where is the one located on the top? I can't seem to locate it.

Thanks
The one on top as I recall is directly above the bottom one. I am guessing about 12 inches above, kind of on the top of the heater box. Maybe behind some dash trim??
Old 03-17-2012, 08:48 PM

This just happened to my 10 Lariat today. Cold air on drivers side and hot air on passenger. This also happened to my 04 Tbird which also has dual climate control. On the Tbird it was the DCCV (dual coolant control valve) which I replaced my self after having it diagnosed at a Lincoln Mercury dealer. I don't see anything that looks like it would be that valve on these trucks. Looks like I'll be heading to the dealer first of the week. This is under warranty so the dealer can fix it.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:36 PM

It is the blend door motor behind the radio/NAV unit. The whole dash does not have to come out. They have to remove the radio/NAV unit. This requires partial dash disassembly. The part will not be in until Monday. Going to cost about 300.00. I'm glad it was not the bottom blend door motor. That one would have required complete dash removal.

Quick Reply: Heater- cold one side and warm on the other??