Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:21 PM
In This Discussion
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Issue: What is the easiest way to access the oil filter? How many quarts?

Tips recommend by users for removing the oil filter:

• Using a strap style filter wrench
  • Loosen the filter from above first. After it is loose, crawl under the truck to take it off
  • It can be easier to get off if it is a bit warm.
  • As a last resort, drain the oil and take a screwdriver to smash through the old filter with a hammer. Use the leverage you get to loosen it, then take the screwdriver out and unscrew the old filter. Your filter gasket was probably never lubed before installation, and possibly over tightened. Please note some oil may leak when removing the filter in this manner.
5.4 liter engines hold 7 quarts of oil.

Read the full discussion below
Print Wikipost

04 5.4 oil change

Old 11-28-2008, 05:19 PM
Car Audio Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 04 5.4 oil change

whats easiest way to access the filter? how many qt's of oil, etc...basically needing a "how to" never done it on my 04 f-150 before and it needs to be done

thanks
logan
Old 11-28-2008, 05:46 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Your 5.4 liter holds 7 quarts (with new oil filter). Ford recommends 5W-20. I use 5W-20 or 5W-30. If you use "dyno" based oil, I'd change it every 3000 miles. If you use synthetic, I'd go 5000-6000 miles. Some synthetics can go up to 7500; my personal rule of thumb is to just double the "dyno" based (non synthetic).

As to brands of oil or oil filters (should you ask), be prepared for another "battle". Oil brands and oil filters always raise some "interesting" points of view. Wally Mart sells the Ford brand filters; that's what I use.

Accessing the filter? I use the strap style filter wrench; there are many types. Ford placed the filter on there engines in easy to reach places on these trucks. A big thumbs up from me.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:16 PM
Car Audio Junkie

Originally Posted by Bucko
Your 5.4 liter holds 7 quarts (with new oil filter). Ford recommends 5W-20. I use 5W-20 or 5W-30. If you use "dyno" based oil, I'd change it every 3000 miles. If you use synthetic, I'd go 5000-6000 miles. Some synthetics can go up to 7500; my personal rule of thumb is to just double the "dyno" based (non synthetic).

As to brands of oil or oil filters (should you ask), be prepared for another "battle". Oil brands and oil filters always raise some "interesting" points of view. Wally Mart sells the Ford brand filters; that's what I use.

Accessing the filter? I use the strap style filter wrench; there are many types. Ford placed the filter on there engines in easy to reach places on these trucks. A big thumbs up from me.

it always gets changed every 3k miles, on all my vehicles regardless of oil..

got my oil filter from napa, its a napa gold one, so getting to the filter whats easier, climbing under (sorry never really searched for the filter)
Old 11-29-2008, 09:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I find the easiest way to loosen the filter is from above first. After it is loose then you crawl under to take it off.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:22 PM

I found that there isn't room to maneuver a strap type filter wrench on my 06 but there is enough room to get both hands on the filter and twist it from underneath. Mine was in really tight the first time I changed it so I really had to work at it.

In my opinion the best oil and filter to use is the Motorcraft 5w-20 (7 quarts) and the motorcraft filter (the napa is fine also). These are both for sale at walmart and can be had for less than $20 from there. The oil is a synthedic blend so I let it go for 5,000 miles between changes.

The drain plug is a 17mm if I remember right (might be 16mm) and is easiest to get to if you crawl in behind either of the front wheels. The nice thing about the f150 is it's got enough clearance that you can slide under the truck with a creeper and still have plenty of room without jacking it up.

Hope that helps.

John
Old 11-29-2008, 08:30 PM
Car Audio Junkie

Originally Posted by Dark Stone
I found that there isn't room to maneuver a strap type filter wrench on my 06 but there is enough room to get both hands on the filter and twist it from underneath. Mine was in really tight the first time I changed it so I really had to work at it.

In my opinion the best oil and filter to use is the Motorcraft 5w-20 (7 quarts) and the motorcraft filter (the napa is fine also). These are both for sale at walmart and can be had for less than $20 from there. The oil is a synthedic blend so I let it go for 5,000 miles between changes.

The drain plug is a 17mm if I remember right (might be 16mm) and is easiest to get to if you crawl in behind either of the front wheels. The nice thing about the f150 is it's got enough clearance that you can slide under the truck with a creeper and still have plenty of room without jacking it up.

Hope that helps.

John
sure does, got it washed and waxed today, air filter changed (cant wait to get my k&n cold air on it) and tommorro its oil time, thanks every1 for the help
Old 01-03-2009, 12:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what is sooooo great about synthetic oil?
Old 01-03-2009, 09:13 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by gramsde9
what is sooooo great about synthetic oil?
Here we go (yet again) about synthetic oil. Can I suggest you google the advantages of synthetic over dyno based oils rather than attempt to start yet another oil debate?

If you plan to change your oil every 3K, then stick with dyno based. Otherwise you're wasting your money. Synthetics resist heat breakdown much better than dyno, and hold their lubricating properties much longer than dyno based, which is one (of many) reasons they can go 5 to 6k miles between oil changes, provided they are combined with a good oil filter, such as Fords brand.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not to to hijack the tread but, this is related.

What type of oil does the factory new trucks have in them?

how can you tell if the oil is syn. or conventional
Old 01-03-2009, 10:47 AM
_McLovin_

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rickyp
not to to hijack the tread but, this is related.

What type of oil does the factory new trucks have in them?

how can you tell if the oil is syn. or conventional
Regular old Motorcraft 5w-20. Nothing special, and guess what it will last all the way to 7500 miles.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 04 5.4 oil change