Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Ignition Switch problems

Old 02-04-2012, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition Switch problems

First off feel free to move this if i posted it in the wrong spot.

I have a 1990 f150. I can turn the key to the on position very easily but when i turn it to the start position its EXTREMELY difficult. I had to use both hands to turn the key. Its always been difficult to get it to the run position but not this bad.. Seems worse when its a cold morning but once it runs for a while its not hard to start again if its within a few hours...

Any help is much appreciated. Probably somthing simple. Just not sure if i need to replace just the starter switch or if its something else.

Also another thing is if i take the key out just barely before it in the off position i can start the engine with out the key. Or if i do this and dont realize it it kills the battery. Just a bit more info.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:42 AM

I replaced the ignition key switch in my 96 just before Christmas. It was doing just what you described. I bought a new one at AutoZone for about $15. It took less than an hour to replace. Now I have one key to start the truck and one key to lock the doors.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:09 PM

Awesome. Sounds easy enough
Old 02-07-2012, 05:01 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There was a TSB released in 96 recalling the ignition switch. Seems they can short out and start a fire. I'd say to just replace it.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:17 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

It could be the lock actuator on the steering colunm. It's a cast rod that has a half-horseshoe in the end that breaks in two at that spot. The part number is E9TZ-3E715-B. It's a job to replace if you are not mechanically inclined.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:08 PM

Well this truck has been there and done that.. Been through more than one engine. I think if the ignition switch was bound to start a fire it would have by now lol. Ill look into the actuator thing and see where i get.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ignition Switch problems