Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Synthectic Oil for your Ecoboost

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 11:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Synthectic Oil for your Ecoboost

I have been considering switching to Amsoil for my next oil change. My neighbor is a dealer and told me you you can go 25 000 km between oil changes. This sounds really crazy to me, anyone know if this is true?

What is your experience with synthetic oil? Amsoil?

Nothing wrong with filling the Ecoboost with it, right?

Thanks,
Old 01-26-2012, 12:32 AM
Engineer

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

I'll admit I haven't checked up on this in a few years but last time I checked a lot of people that were going 25k mile intervals were running either longer dual oil filters (not in the stock location obviously) or changing the single filter every 7.5k-10k. They would also get an oil analysis done by Blackstone Labs every so often between changes to keep tabs on the additives. But yes, it can and is commonly done by many people with AMSOIL.

Me personally I never got hooked up with a distributor and wasn't going to pay retail price for AMSOIL when I could get 5qt jugs of MOBILE 1 at Wal Mart for ~$22.

As far as the EB goes you'd be fine running it BUT I have no idea how much the extra heat from the turbos could effect oil life. Someone who owns one will need to chime in with that info. But regardless when running extended intervals like that it's well worth the $25 or whatever it cost these days to get a lab to test a sample of your oil every so often until you can develop a pattern for what your max interval should be since all engines differ slightly.

Good Info On This Site: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

Last edited by ClaySlayer; 01-26-2012 at 12:40 AM.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:57 AM

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I would keep factory oci until your warranty runs out. After that you can extend oci but you should do uoa's so you know exactly how long you can go. As suggested above bitog is the place for all your oil questions.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll throw in my 2 cents: I've read and researched synthetic oil extensively, and while NOT a lube engineer I’ve found that a “full synthetic oil” like Mobil1 or Pennzoil Platinum will resist breakdown due to heat, better than petroleum based oil, do a better job at containing and suspending ‘sludge’ in the motor than petroleum based oil, and do a better job of lubricating in some situations (as in 5-8 years ago Ford had under-engineered oil flow channels in a V-8‘s block that encountered issues where petroleum based oils had a harder time flowing). I use a “full synthetic” in all of my cars. However, it is crucial to note that years ago the very definition of “full synthetic” was changed so that oil companies can label a given oil as “full synthetic” while is it in fact, NOT full synthetic – just mostly synthetic (the actual % will remain a closely guarded secret). However, there ARE companies that offer a completely FULL SYNTHEIC oil (AmsOil being one of them) that are 100% synthetic. As anyone who has compared prices will know, a quart of AmsOil costs significantly more than a quart of, say, Mobil 1. I have used AmsOil in all my motorcycles with excellent results. However, I find that while oils like Pennzoil Platinum and Mobil 1 are not FULL synthetics, they do a good enough job for what I require in my road cars. My 2011 Ecoboost motor came with Ford’s Motorcraft Semi-Synthetic in the engine. At 5,000 miles I switched to Motorcraft Full Synthetic because A) I’ve seen how hard it is to do a DIY oil change on an F-150 Ecoboost, B) Want to let my Ford dealer do it to retain the warranty, and C) After doing some research, I found Motorcraft oil is actually a very, very, good oil. As you all have seen from other forums, the oil debate is endless, but I felt that living in Houston, Texas with the types of driving my Ecoboost will see, that Full Synthetic oil was a better choice than Semi-Synthetic, etc. While AmsOil is one of the, if not THE best oil you can get, the advantages weren’t worth it in my particular situation.

Last edited by Skeezix; 01-26-2012 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Spelling error found
Old 01-26-2012, 02:32 PM

I am not sure that Amsoil is a true 100% synthetic oil anymore (not that is a bad thing). If you email them and ask if the oil is 100% PAO you get a response back siimilar to the following. "At the end of the day, the type of base stock used to formulate the oil is inconsequential; the product’s performance is what matters."
That suggests to me that the have reformulated the oil and they are now using grp III(+) base stock in at least some of their oils
Old 01-26-2012, 05:06 PM

All this talk of oil caused me to change my oil today. I tried to hold off but I could not. Ended up using PU 5w-30 SN and a fl-500s. plan on doing 5k on this oil and then sendig a sample in for uoa. FF came out really black and smelling of fuel. I know fuel dilution might be an issue on the DI engines so that is something to keep an eye on (with uoa's). I'll post my report after I get it if anyone is interested.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Amsoil's XL line and OEM lines are not "full synthetic"...never have been. Their signature line of oils are believed to still be PAO according to the majority of the sites that track this sort of thing. Mobil 1 does make some true synthetics...these include their VTWIN and 4T motorcycle oils as well as their 0/40 oil which is certified to meet European standards that do not allow for an oil to be called a synthetic unless it is a PAO/ESTER based oil.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:57 PM

The amsoil dealer (pablo) in this thread basically got the same answer from Amsoil as I did. (page 10) http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...489735&page=10

Just so you know I am not anti-amsoil, in fact quite the opposite. I just found it strange that they removed the genuine pao label from the label and the site. They were 100% pao for years and I think people assume it just continues to this day. I am only pointing it out so much because people should know that it is no longer 100% pao if that's what they want. And yes I am talking about signature.
Bottom line is Amsoil Signature is a great oil, it does what it advertises and can be used with confidence.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:24 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I use the signature series oil with the amsoil absolute oil filter. The oil filter is good for 15000+ miles, I will be changing mine every 7500 to 10000 miles. The filter is a synthetic spun filter not a paper pleated filter like most of your other ones. this is not my first vehicle to use it on and it works great. my friend uses the same set up on his 2010 duramax and loves it.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BeerCan
The amsoil dealer (pablo) in this thread basically got the same answer from Amsoil as I did. (page 10) http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...489735&page=10

Just so you know I am not anti-amsoil, in fact quite the opposite. I just found it strange that they removed the genuine pao label from the label and the site. They were 100% pao for years and I think people assume it just continues to this day. I am only pointing it out so much because people should know that it is no longer 100% pao if that's what they want. And yes I am talking about signature.
Bottom line is Amsoil Signature is a great oil, it does what it advertises and can be used with confidence.

The PAO reference came off years ago when they began mixing in GROUP V esters in with the GROUP IV PAO's. The fact that they don't divulge what is in their base stocks doesn't mean they don't offer a Group IV/V oil anymore. I'm not sure if anybody tells you what's in their "full synthetics". Amsoil's line consists of two oils that are clearly GROUP III....they admit it and have no issues marketing them as such. I have seen no proof from any source that says their signature line is a Group III. Most believe it is still a PAO/ESTER blend, as does the Amsoil dealer (Pablo) in the beginning of his post. It would not surprise me if the base stock changed to formulas that they have determined to meet their needs over a period of time as prices fluctuate. I will admit to being an Amsoil dealer...but I DO NOT peddle it whatsoever. I use to run their diesel oil religiously with bypass filters. I am using Mobil 1 in my EB. I use Amsoil in all my MC's and off road vehicles. It's simply too easy to grab a couple of jugs of Mobil 1 at Sam's/Costco.

Quick Reply: Synthectic Oil for your Ecoboost