Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Steering Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 11:27 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Steering Adjustment

Hey everyone, I am curious about a steering box adjustment that I have read about. All steering components, tie rod ends etc.. are either new or tight. All have been replaced within the past 2 years, and some just last weekend. I still have some play in the steering. Not as bad as it was before last weekend, but still noticeable/annoying. I have read about on the steering box, the adjusting screw... loosen the lock nut and turn the screw in, using 1/4 turn increments, and that can help tighten the steering up. Has anyone had any luck doing this? Or would this just possibly be a short term fix, with more trouble to come?
Old 01-07-2012, 02:08 PM

Default Fixed it!

Well, to answer my own question, I went ahead and did that trick with the steering box I posted about. Wow! What a difference! Darn thing drives 10 times better, dont know how it could get any better, practically no play in the steering anymore. Went and drove it around for about 5 miles, everything seems to be perfect, the steering hasnt been this responsive in YEARS!!!!
Old 01-09-2012, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Id like to know more aboit this I have lots of play! What year is your truck 1 off?
Old 01-09-2012, 09:05 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I've done this before, but be carefull if you go too far you can't go back.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Mr_Brown133
Id like to know more aboit this I have lots of play! What year is your truck 1 off?
Well from other posts I have read... Do this at your own risk. Might read other peoples reviews but it worked for me. My truck is a 1994 F150 4x4... My tie rod ends were replaced 2 years ago and I just installed a new drag link and inner tie rod last weekend, with the installed joints of course...so be sure the rest of your steering components are in good condition or no amount of fix on the steering box will do any good. Ok....on top of the steering box you will finda 5/8 nut with a screw in the center of it. After 18 years mine didn't wasn't to loosen...I sprayed it down real good with brake cleaner and then soaked it with penetrating oil and let it soak for a while....anyway....just loosen the but, just crack it loose and then a bit more...you aren't trying to remove it...after you have it loose, hold the but in place while turning the screw in 1/8 to 1/4 turn at a time, snug the nut up and check your steering. When you get it where you need it tighten the nut up good. I ended up turning mine almost a whole complete turn, but it did wonders. After the new steering parts last weekend and adjusting the steering box...it steers like new! I have read where people have had their steering lock up on them after doing this, so weigh the risks, and attempt at your own risk. I guess tightening to much on the screw is what causes problems but it worked for me. Have driven it about 50 miles with no problem.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by jrh5610
I've done this before, but be carefull if you go too far you can't go back.
Really? I didn't know that. Can't you just back off on the screw if you go to far? Of that's the case, I either did it just right, or got really lucky, either way it worked great and me be happy! lol
Old 01-09-2012, 09:35 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I had this happen to me on a ranger I had I went to far and it wouldn't hardly turn tried to go back and it wouldn't adjust.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by jrh5610
I had this happen to me on a ranger I had I went to far and it wouldn't hardly turn tried to go back and it wouldn't adjust.
Well I went very small increments at a time...took my time...probably spent an hour doing this alone but got it right. Sure beats buying a new box and seems to work just as good. Kinda wonder if the box might wear faster or something now...we'll see. (fingers crossed).
Old 01-09-2012, 10:12 PM
It's a Canadian thing eh!

Received 195 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by mrslyfox
Well I went very small increments at a time...took my time...probably spent an hour doing this alone but got it right. Sure beats buying a new box and seems to work just as good. Kinda wonder if the box might wear faster or something now...we'll see. (fingers crossed).
I was just happy my new steering box came pre-adjusted for that, cause i didnt want to have to adjust it, because they do/will lock up. Like jrh5610 said, I've also heard of them locking up on explorers and rangers.

The real way to do that adjustment is with a torque wrench on the steering wheel so that you don't lock up the adjustment, but hey if it worked it worked. And i know what you mean by it drives 10X better, feels like a brand new truck and handles like a dream, very responsive and very little play.

Quick Reply: Steering Adjustment