Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ecoboost and Travel Trailer

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 03:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ecoboost and Travel Trailer

I realize this is a general question and it will depend on the model of the trailer, but generally, how much to 25-30 foot travel trailers weigh? Can an Ecoboost or a 5.0 for that matter, really be considered a regular tow vehicle for a travel trailer in that size range?

I don't have a travel trailer now, but might like to get one and want to get a vehicle that could pull one from time to time. I don't anticipate pulling it all over the country, but at least a few hundred miles every now and again.

Thanks.
Old 12-09-2011, 03:51 PM
Converted

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From the bit of research I have done a TT 30' long would be roughly 5000#'s well within the range of either drive lines you mention.

But you have openned a can of worms as far as ECO vrs 5.0 for tow selection and fuel efficiency.

Mark

Last edited by FirstFtruck; 12-09-2011 at 03:59 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:07 PM
2011 SCREW 6.5' EB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ecoboost will tow it fine. I have an Ecoboost with trailer tow and max trailer tow. I towed my boat (5,000 lbs.) cross country this summer, 3000 miles round trip and it worked flawlessly. I can't wait to plan our next cross country trip next summer.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:16 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I bought a new 2010 F150, 5.4 V8, tow package. I pull a 30' TT with no problems at all.

When the 2011's came out with the ECO V6 I *was* wishing I would have waited to buy one of those insted. Now I'm glad I did NOT. With all the threads I have been reading about the problems the ECO V6 is having PLUS hearing the saleman I bought my 2010 from saying to me that it's a good idea to wait a couple of years before buying a ECO V6 because they ARE having some problems, if I were you slidellkid, I'd hold off on the ECO V6 and go with the 5.0 V8, a tried and true engine.

The ONLY thing I dislike about my 2010 is the auto tranny. Shifting in and out of OD all the time is 100% nuts and it tells me these newer computer controlled engines no longer have the torque the older ones did. I wish Ford still offered stick shift.

I'm 100% sure a lot of ECO owners are going to tell you after reading my thread that I don't know what I'm talking about and they never have had any problems with their ECO V6. When someone that works for Ford tells me there ARE problems with the ECO (and I was ready to trade my 2010 for one) and lost a sale, I'd tend to believe him...

Happy Holidays! Good luck
Old 12-09-2011, 04:41 PM

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by RadioMan
I bought a new 2010 F150, 5.4 V8, tow package. I pull a 30' TT with no problems at all.

When the 2011's came out with the ECO V6 I *was* wishing I would have waited to buy one of those insted. Now I'm glad I did NOT. With all the threads I have been reading about the problems the ECO V6 is having PLUS hearing the saleman I bought my 2010 from saying to me that it's a good idea to wait a couple of years before buying a ECO V6 because they ARE having some problems, if I were you slidellkid, I'd hold off on the ECO V6 and go with the 5.0 V8, a tried and true engine.

The ONLY thing I dislike about my 2010 is the auto tranny. Shifting in and out of OD all the time is 100% nuts and it tells me these newer computer controlled engines no longer have the torque the older ones did. I wish Ford still offered stick shift.

I'm 100% sure a lot of ECO owners are going to tell you after reading my thread that I don't know what I'm talking about and they never have had any problems with their ECO V6. When someone that works for Ford tells me there ARE problems with the ECO (and I was ready to trade my 2010 for one) and lost a sale, I'd tend to believe him...

I don't have a dog in this fight, but in which vehicle is the engine "tried and true?" It hasn't been in the F150 any longer than the EcoBoost.

Shifting in and out of OD all the time is 100% nuts and it tells me these newer computer controlled engines no longer have the torque the older ones did.
Torque output has nothing to do with whether or not the engine is computer controlled. New engines have way more torque than the old ones ever did, and get better fuel econonmy while they do it.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:44 PM

Received 151 Likes on 107 Posts

A 30' travel trailer can be anywhere from 5k to 10k fully loaded. (GVWR on mine is 10k).

5.0 or the EB will pull it as long as you get enough tow rating. My tow rating is 9800# and my loaded weight is 7500#.

Biggest limitation will be in cargo/tongue weight. Especially in screw 4x4. Mine is right at max for cargo weight. You will run out of tongue weight before tow weight.

If I had it to do over with, I would have done max tow and possibly max payload.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:03 PM

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Yes it can but it does really depend on what type of TT you want to buy.

Do you need a slide out? 2 slide outs? For comparison, I have a 31' that has 2 slide outs that is considered an ultra light at 6,750 lbs. dry weight. As far as we could find, we only found 1 other model that was marginally lighter but the quality of that model was suspect. Other similar models the same length were 500 to 3,000 lbs. more.

You need to discover your wants and needs in a TT BEFORE you make that truck purchase as it is going to tell you how to equip the truck. As a fail-safe, going Max. Tow Package will assure you the 11,300 weight but do you really need it? Your TT will tell you that.

I won't get into the engine debate, it's been done to death. I will however layout a flat challenge to anyone in Pa. Come tow my TT with your 5.4 or 5.0 and then I'll let you do it with my Eco, I know which one you'll want in the end. And this ain't coming from an Eco snob, I've towed with other vehicles.

As for your needs, maybe I can help you decide that. If it is just you or you and a partner and you only want the basics, you may consider just a TT with no slides. If you enjoy a little more space, you will want a slide out. If you have kids that will be going with, 2 slide outs is VERY nice.

On some of the popular RV forums and at campgrounds, you will find many people who wish they bought both slides but what they all have in common is that they have kids, pretty much the only reason. Lastly, outdoor kitchens freaking rock! If you can find a model with it, get it! Bacon smells great being cooked in the TT in the morning, by noon, it doesn't smell so great. The convenience of the outdoor kitchen is invaluable and you never have to go far to get your favorite beverage.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RadioMan

Can't we all just get along ????

Besides...any saleseman that talked you out of trading in your 2010 on a new vehicle needs to find another profession 'cause he's gonna starve to death....
Old 12-09-2011, 05:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just kinda butting in here, I'm looking for a toy hauler 28-30' that will work with my Eco. I was told by an RV salesman that I could only tow 7200#.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:29 PM

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by willwatkins
Just kinda butting in here, I'm looking for a toy hauler 28-30' that will work with my Eco. I was told by an RV salesman that I could only tow 7200#.
Post your year, model, engine and gears and we should be able to tell you. Many RV dealers use a very general guide and our trucks are varied to say the least.

Quick Reply: Ecoboost and Travel Trailer