Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

intermittent starting problems 1998 f-150

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 10:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intermittent starting problems 1998 f-150

Hello, I seem to have a problem that relates to alot of the posts in the archives of this forum.
My 1998 4.2, Manual transmission F-150, 103,000 miles started fine yesterday. I backed it out of the garage to go to work.I forgot something so I turned it off and ran back inside the garage. I went to start truck and it did nothing but crank over.
It did this same thing back in October and I pushed the fuel cut off switch for the heck of it, and pulled the fuel pump fuse and reinserted it.
The truck started and gave me no problems for a month plus till yesterday?
When it happened yesterday I tried these same tricks and they failed to help.
Today, I had the day off work The truck started right up and I could not make it mess up if I tried. I started it numerous times, pushed clutch in put it in gear, etc. and wiggled wires and could not get it to do it again?
The fuel pump always seems be priming when first turning the key. Any ideas as far as a electrical intermittent problem. I am just trying to avoid the expense of replacing the fuel pump, when it seems fine. The truck runs fine. just had these two episodes in the last two months. Ya never know when it might do it again... Thanks !

Quick Reply: intermittent starting problems 1998 f-150