Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Head Gasket Progress - cab off

Old 11-13-2011, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head Gasket Progress - cab off

Thought I'd share some info on my project. Truck is a 97 Lariat 4x4 that I've owned since 50k and it now has 135k on the odometer. It developed a head gasket leak between a cylinder and water passage about 3 years ago but continued to run just fine with the occasional missfire code and intermittent heat and even passed a couple smog tests. I also had to leave the radiator cap loose because it would build up quite a bit of pressure in the cooling system. I like the truck enough and enjoy not having payments that I decided to rip into it and make it last hopefully another 100k.

I'm most familiar with chevys and recently finished a frame off on my 72 Cheyenne (pics below), so I was a little concerned because I've never worked on one of these mod motors. This was the main reason I decided to lift the cab off...... and also to save my back!.....as well as hopefully keep myself from throwing wrenches across the garage because I can't find or get to that last bolt! I found a ton of info on this site and various opinions on doing it with the cab on or off and since I had access to the equipment, I went that route and would do it that way again.

Anyway decided to share since the info I found here was so useful!

Cab off.....took me an afternoon to do it....took my time!

Per my occasional misfire codes, I knew it was the #5 cylinder that was getting water, but after I got it apart it looked like #1 was leaking too. The cylinders all looked pretty good (still could see crosshatching on cylinder walls) with a little bit of pitting in #5 from the water sitting in the cylinder when I wasn't driving it. The motor still has great oil pressure, so I just decided to clean up the heads and put it back together.

Cleaned the cylinders up by taking a lacquer thinner soaked rag and setting on top of the piston.....dissolved carbon pretty quickly.

Got the heads torqued down today and I'm waiting for parts now....ordered most from Rockauto......couldn't believe how much less they were than NAPA! Heads are all cleaned up with new valve seals, chambers and valves all cleaned up as well. Putting new lifters in while I'm this far, as well as a knock sensor since it's under the manifold. All the timing components look perfect, so I'm reusing them. Should have it all back together by next weekend.

OK....now if you're a die-hard Ford guy, you can turn your head now....heres some pics of my 72 Chevy.

Old 11-13-2011, 09:49 PM

Nice trucks! It looks like your making good progress
Old 11-13-2011, 10:00 PM

good looking trucks you have there sir.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:10 PM

Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

I was gonna say you should por15 the frame and clean things up... But it already clean...
Old 11-14-2011, 01:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good grief that Chevy is PRETTY!!! You can eat in that engine bay!
Old 11-14-2011, 07:45 AM

Received 94 Likes on 94 Posts

Fine looking trucks
Old 11-14-2011, 07:13 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

WOW!
Thanks for the great pix.
I love all pickups, including Chevy and Dodge. Japanese pickups - not so much.
You helped prove my point.
About a month or so ago I posted and asked why Ford did not design their pickups so the entire front would lift for easy engine service like many big rigs and buses.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:33 PM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

When you're done would you fix mine for me? I'll buy you a case of beer
Old 11-14-2011, 09:42 PM

Thanks for the nice comments guys......appreciated. hopefully in a week or so I'll post some more of it back together and running....hopefully well!

Originally Posted by Bell Blue Raider
When you're done would you fix mine for me? I'll buy you a case of beer
No worries.......make it 2 cases and plan on an extended stay.......I'm not fast!!!!
Old 11-15-2011, 10:00 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Any links to information on lifting the cab?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Head Gasket Progress - cab off