General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

idler pulley diagram

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default idler pulley diagram

sory to ask this question after joining yesterday. i spent several hours searching this sight for answers but never could find what i wanted.
i have a 2000 f150 4.2 and the belt is makeing an awful noise.
the dealer replased the idler pulley however i notice that when the motor is running the pulley wobbles a little.
i replaced the fan clutch and i bought a new idler pulley.
i noticed when i installed the new pulley the belt looks like it is right at the front of the puller kinda like it is too far to the front.

so i an wondering if their should have been a washer that goes behind the pulley?
Old 10-31-2011, 07:21 PM

Default alternator

i went back and looked and i was wondering if it might be the alternator? i turned the pulley with my hand and it seems like it wants to make a noise.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:31 AM
Notorious Thread Editor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 40vern
sory to ask this question after joining yesterday. i spent several hours searching this sight for answers but never could find what i wanted.
i have a 2000 f150 4.2 and the belt is makeing an awful noise.
the dealer replased the idler pulley however i notice that when the motor is running the pulley wobbles a little.
i replaced the fan clutch and i bought a new idler pulley.
i noticed when i installed the new pulley the belt looks like it is right at the front of the puller kinda like it is too far to the front.

so i an wondering if their should have been a washer that goes behind the pulley?
i went back and looked and i was wondering if it might be the alternator? i turned the pulley with my hand and it seems like it wants to make a noise.
The pulley should not wobble so if it truly is the dealer needs to handle that. As for the alternator making noise?? When the dealer is fixing their screw up tell them since they supposedly fixed the idler pulley its wobbling and now your alternator is making noise they need to handle that.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:18 PM

thanks for your help. i just ended up replacing the idler pulley myself.

also while i was at the napa parts the guy i buy from told me that his 99 f150 did the same thing. he said it was the water pump. so i got one along with the tensioner arm. i replaced the water pump first and it is as quite as a mouse. i will take the tensioner back since the one i have looks new.

i hope this help some one
Old 11-05-2011, 06:24 PM

well i was looking at the motor today while it was running and i notice that the belt looks like it is trying to walk off the pulley on the bottom of the motor. i was watching the belt from the drivers side and it looks like it is wanting to try and come off going toward the front of the motor.
this bottom pulley is on the crank shaft, so they go bad.

i cleaned all the pulleys and that helped. it is running true except for then i rev the engine up.

then i rev the motor up i notice the belt will squeal a little and wobble a little but it will go back in place on the pulley and run smooth.

so far i have changed the water pump, fan clutch, upper idler pulley, lower idler pulley, and a new belt.

the belt is starting to wear a little with it rubbing on the front of the crandshaft pulley.

if anyone has some ideas i could use them. thanks in advance
Old 11-06-2011, 12:42 PM

Should the power steering fluid bubble while engine is running?

If the belt is trying to walk off the pulley on the bottom of the motor then I would think that a pulley is bad in route before the bottom.

So I am guessing the power steering pump.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:42 PM

Should the power steering fluid bubble while engine is running?

If the belt is trying to walk off the pulley on the bottom of the motor then I would think that a pulley is bad in route before the bottom.

So I am guessing the power steering pump.
Found problem. Pulley was not installed correctly. It was not pressed all the way on causing belt to try to walk off crank pulley

Quick Reply: idler pulley diagram