Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

strange starting / instrument cluster problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default strange starting / instrument cluster problem

I have a 97 F150 has 218K on the clock, standard shift 4x4, ext cab.
Anyway a few days ago i went to start it up and it rolled over a few times and then failed to start and roll over.

I check some things the next day and put some new parts on it. Including starter solenoid (on the firewall), ignition switch, all new ground wires from battery and from starter to frame. It has a newer battery and starter in it which i did have tested and they where both good.

Now after messing with it awhile yesterday i got it to occasionally roll over and one time it did start and run for 30secs or so then shut right off. While trying to get it to roll over yesterday the odd thing is that the gauges on the dash sometimes didn't register and you could hear a bunch or relays firing off and on and the gauges jumping.

Now they wont even come on nor will the truck roll over...

Tonight i am gonna pull the PCM and check for corrosion... Thats the only other thing i can think of

Any ideas????
Old 10-04-2011, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by dpjag
I have a 97 F150 has 218K on the clock, standard shift 4x4, ext cab.
Anyway a few days ago i went to start it up and it rolled over a few times and then failed to start and roll over.

I check some things the next day and put some new parts on it. Including starter solenoid (on the firewall), ignition switch, all new ground wires from battery and from starter to frame. It has a newer battery and starter in it which i did have tested and they where both good.

Now after messing with it awhile yesterday i got it to occasionally roll over and one time it did start and run for 30secs or so then shut right off. While trying to get it to roll over yesterday the odd thing is that the gauges on the dash sometimes didn't register and you could hear a bunch or relays firing off and on and the gauges jumping.

Now they wont even come on nor will the truck roll over...

Tonight i am gonna pull the PCM and check for corrosion... Thats the only other thing i can think of

Any ideas????

Also forgot to mention that the gauge thing was going on before i put the new ignition switch in.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:52 PM

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

If your PCM is bad, then everything will be all over the place as far as readings go, and might explain why she isn't running. Could be something simple as dirty contacts. Then, check the connections on the back of the gauge cluster. Spray all connectors that you are testing with contact cleaner. Next, it's time to check the individual sending units.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:34 PM

hard to beleive the pcm would just up and go bad... i dont think it is just the gage cluster bc of not starting and the blower fan will not come on ... i took the pcm connector off and cleaned it but it looked brand new
Old 10-04-2011, 05:42 PM

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

I read on another forum that the PCM caused someone to chase a transmission ghost (temp all over the place, hard shifts, stalls, etc). Hard to believe that all sending units are a problem at the same time.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:01 PM

i think it may be a fusable link between the power distribution box and the interior fuse box ... bc when i turn the key on i am not getting power to all my fuses. I also took the one ignition switch back that i bought from autozone and got there "better" one thinking that the one i got the other day was bad...well that didn't do a damn thing lol
Old 10-05-2011, 08:45 AM

Anybody experience this or seen this? A fuseable link go bad between the PDB and the inside panel?
Old 10-05-2011, 08:46 PM

i got it figured out... ended up being a corroded power wire going into the bulk head on the drivers side...
That explains why it would intermittant... the bad wire was making contact sometimes and then it eventaully failed.

Quick Reply: strange starting / instrument cluster problem