Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

2001 F150 Transmission Removal/Flywheel

Old 09-11-2011, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 F150 Transmission Removal/Flywheel

My step father just got a 01 f150 with i believe a 4.2l, i know its a automatic v6. He is trying to install a new flywheel but he keeps telling me that he needs a special socket of some sort that is priced over $100 to remove the transmission. I kinda find this hard to believe because of the price so I came here to find a more suitable answer. Its NOT a 4x4. What are the steps of removing the tranny? We need this truck for work tomorrow and it wont even start because of a bad flywheel, thanks in advance

Last edited by DRuben; 09-11-2011 at 03:16 PM.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:24 PM

I talked to him with a little more detail and he told me that the driveshaft required the special 11.5 socket? I would like to add, we tried cranking it today with no luck. It just made a metal grinding sound and he turned it to where it had teeth on the flywheel and tried to crank it but it wouldnt start. Im a beginner on fixing vehicles but I have a lot of knowledge of my 02 Monte Carlo SS and I can follow a "How-To" or tutorial very well. I havent been under the truck to see what requires a "special socket" I just took his word for it. Does anyone know if we need special sockets to remove the tranny? I cant stress on how much we need this truck for work tomorrow for a big construction job. Again, Thanks in advance.

Last edited by DRuben; 09-11-2011 at 03:40 PM.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:58 PM

UPDATE: We got the truck running with a battery from another car and when it was starting it barely even made a grinding noise, idk if it even did. We drove it for 5 minutes and let it sit for 15 minutes while running and turned it off. The truck did start back up with small noticable noise. We are eventually going to replace the flywheel but not until we get a tut. Will we do more damage to it by driving it or is it ok?
Old 09-11-2011, 07:34 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Last time I checked don't automatic transmissions use flex plates and torque converters, and manual transmissions use a flywheel, clutch disc, and pressure plate?
Old 09-11-2011, 07:38 PM
Animal Hoarder

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

That "special" socket is a 12pt 12mm. Sears has them, anyone should have them. That is about the easier transmission to take out, pretty simple.

Why are you replacing the flexplate anyways? Stater chew up the teeth?
Old 09-11-2011, 07:39 PM
Animal Hoarder

Originally Posted by BolletuH
Last time I checked don't automatic transmissions use flex plates and torque converters, and manual transmissions use a flywheel, clutch disc, and pressure plate?
Technically you are correct, but people typically use either wording.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by SuzukiRider
That "special" socket is a 12pt 12mm. Sears has them, anyone should have them. That is about the easier transmission to take out, pretty simple.

Why are you replacing the flexplate anyways? Stater chew up the teeth?
Thanks for the reply! I knew it wasnt a 11.5 socket and the socket wasnt $100 lol. Harbor frieght has the 12 point but we confused every staff member talking about a 11.5 socket (which exist but they dont have any). Im guessing the starter did eat up the teeth because they had to replace the starter but every other startup we have to turn it by hand then crank it up. Im not the type to go to a mechanic to get things fixed but he gave up and its not my vehicle so its not my call. We have all the tools except that 12 pt 12mm socket which I can get easily but he is now claiming that the shop has to put in the seals because without a machine you cant do it (Which I think is a bs way of saying im too lazy to do it so ill pay a mechanic $300). Sorry for saying flywheel I didnt read what the new one said and just went from what the mechanic called it.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:11 PM
Animal Hoarder

Originally Posted by DRuben
Thanks for the reply! I knew it wasnt a 11.5 socket and the socket wasnt $100 lol. Harbor frieght has the 12 point but we confused every staff member talking about a 11.5 socket (which exist but they dont have any). Im guessing the starter did eat up the teeth because they had to replace the starter but every other startup we have to turn it by hand then crank it up. Im not the type to go to a mechanic to get things fixed but he gave up and its not my vehicle so its not my call. We have all the tools except that 12 pt 12mm socket which I can get easily but he is now claiming that the shop has to put in the seals because without a machine you cant do it (Which I think is a bs way of saying im too lazy to do it so ill pay a mechanic $300). Sorry for saying flywheel I didnt read what the new one said and just went from what the mechanic called it.
What seals? Drop the driveshaft, exhaust, crossmember and the trans comes right out. The flexplate is held on my 6 15mm bolts.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by SuzukiRider
What seals? Drop the driveshaft, exhaust, crossmember and the trans comes right out. The flexplate is held on my 6 15mm bolts.
Idk what he is talking about maybe the gaskets? One of the exhaust flanges looks hard to get. Its the one on the right side and the tranny dipstick is in the way and i cant get levarage even with my long torque wrench.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:02 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Hmm just remove the bell housing bolts, remove the front and rear driveshafts, drop the transfer case, unbolt the transmission from its mounts, and it should pull right out from the engine because the bell housing bolts holds it to the engine. Yes there is a seal between the engine and transmission but I believe it is a gasket, **** even atv/rtv sealant can be used in place of this gasket but strongly not recommended... 12 point sockets aren't common but definitely aren't 100 dollars. You may just wanna crawl up under there and look at it and identify the different parts and pieces and get an idea of what you are getting into. Oh make sure to drain the fluids, and refill with new fluids after... otherwise you are gonna have a huge mess on your hands.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2001 F150 Transmission Removal/Flywheel