Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Max Towing Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 11:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by buckeyefan
I am looking at tow ratings correctly?

To tow the 11,200 lbs Ford claims, I need to get the EB , Max tow package and 3.73.

The 5.0 with 3.73 can only tow 9100 lbs.

My trailer dry is 7200 and max weight is 9500 lbs.
So it looks like I need the EB to tow it.... right?

I look under towing hitch and found 2 stickers one seem to give me the max towing rating which says 10,500 lbs limit. It is not the max tow package...but the standard on the EB only gave room for 10,500 lbs. Ford services told me if I need to get a max tow outfitted, I will need to go locally for them to retrofit with a weight distributing load hitch. Not sure what that means?
Old 07-30-2011, 11:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will say my Inlaws have a 2004 Nissan Titan 4x4 that says it can tow like 9,400lbs, they have a 7,000 travel trailer, they towed it down to branson, Mo (6 hour drive) and the transmission got hot, the exhaust got hot and melted the wire harness that run over the exhaust heat shield which fried several computer modules and cost just over $5000 in repair, not include the rental to get back home wile the truck was in the shop for 2 weeks.

I ended up having to town their travel trailer with my 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 MEGA CAB 4x4. The Mega Cab for those that don't know is actually a 3/4 ton truck, it's only rated down to a 1500 because of the huge cab. It was only rated to tow 7,500 lbs, yet when I towed their travel trailer my transmission temp bairly moved and my brakes were larger then theirs, so I had to turn the brake controller way down as they needed more trailer braking to stop the trailer then I did.

I towed it up and down the Ozark mountains and the Mega Cab didn't think twice about it. While the Nissan Titan would struggle.

My point is only that just because something is rated to do something, doesn't make it the best machine to do it or that it can do it up and down hills and mountains.

I don't know about my Ecoboost yet, as I have not towed anything other then my 1,500lb boat and 1,200lb Jet ski's. At some point, I will tow my inlaw's 7000lb travel trailer with my Ecoboost just to put it threw the ropes, but I only have 1,300 miles on my Ecoboost right now and will wait till probably next summer before pushing it.

According to ford the chassis/frame is built more like a 3/4 ton then a 1/2 ton.

Ford has been known to over rate their towing capacities, while Dodge has been known to under rate theirs. So I don't know what to say other then I plan to get a ~9,000lb 5th wheel trailer in a few years or so. I'm hoping my Ecoboost wont have any issues with this. I don't think ANY vehical should be pushed to it's MAX tow capacity or beyond for more then a short tow, but if you plan on towing it more then about 20-30 miles EVER then I wouldn't get a trailer that is within 1,000lbs-2,000lbs of the MAX tow rating, or a truck that is rated to town 1,000lbs-2,000lbs more then my trailer weight.

-TheChad

Last edited by TheChad; 07-30-2011 at 11:37 AM.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:41 AM
zap

Originally Posted by TheChad
I will say my Inlaws have a 2004 Nissan Titan 4x4 that says it can tow like 9,400lbs, they have a 7,000 travel trailer, they towed it down to branson, Mo (6 hour drive) and the transmission got hot, the exhaust got hot and melted the wire harness that run over the exhaust heat shield which fried several computer modules and cost just over $5000 in repair, not include the rental to get back home wile the truck was in the shop for 2 weeks.

I ended up having to town their travel trailer with my 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 MEGA CAB 4x4. The Mega Cab for those that don't know is actually a 3/4 ton truck, it's only rated down to a 1500 because of the huge cab. It was only rated to tow 7,500 lbs, yet when I towed their travel trailer my transmission temp bairly moved and my brakes were larger then theirs, so I had to turn the brake controller way down as they needed more trailer braking to stop the trailer then I did.

I towed it up and down the Ozark mountains and the Mega Cab didn't think twice about it. While the Nissan Titan would struggle.

My point is only that just because something is rated to do something, doesn't make it the best machine to do it or that it can do it up and down hills and mountains.

I don't know about my Ecoboost yet, as I have not towed anything other then my 1,500lb boat and 1,200lb Jet ski's. At some point, I will tow my inlaw's 7000lb travel trailer with my Ecoboost just to put it threw the ropes, but I only have 1,300 miles on my Ecoboost right now and will wait till probably next summer before pushing it.

According to ford the chassis/frame is built more like a 3/4 ton then a 1/2 ton.

Ford has been known to over rate their towing capacities, while Dodge has been known to under rate theirs. So I don't know what to say other then I plan to get a ~9,000lb 5th wheel trailer in a few years or so. I'm hoping my Ecoboost wont have any issues with this. I don't think ANY vehical should be pushed to it's MAX tow capacity or beyond for more then a short tow, but if you plan on towing it more then about 20-30 miles EVER then I wouldn't get a trailer that is within 1,000-2,000lbs of the MAX tow rating.

-TheChad
06 Ram 2500 MegaCab with the 5.9 Cummins. Gets 29 mpg on the highway (not towing of course) and has never had a problem pulling a constant 10,000lbs in the mountains. Love it almost more than my F150, but the Ford is prevailing due to the size and weight. Most of today's half ton frames are actually 3/4 ton frames. I know that's true with GM, Dodge, and Ford. I know that GM and Dodge 3/4 and 1 ton trucks have the exact same frame, and the only things that differ are the springs and the dually option. I would assume Ford is the same.

Just because a truck has the ability to tow a set weight doesn't mean it should. If your thinking that you may be close to the max, do yourself a favor and get a 3/4 ton.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by zap
06 Ram 2500 MegaCab with the 5.9 Cummins. Gets 29 mpg on the highway (not towing of course) and has never had a problem pulling a constant 10,000lbs in the mountains. Love it almost more than my F150, but the Ford is prevailing due to the size and weight. Most of today's half ton frames are actually 3/4 ton frames. I know that's true with GM, Dodge, and Ford. I know that GM and Dodge 3/4 and 1 ton trucks have the exact same frame, and the only things that differ are the springs and the dually option. I would assume Ford is the same.

Just because a truck has the ability to tow a set weight doesn't mean it should. If your thinking that you may be close to the max, do yourself a favor and get a 3/4 ton.
Yeah, I had the 5.7L HEMI, I got 11-12 MPG empty, and 6-9 MPG when towing anything. The ONLY reason I got rid of that truck with 18,500 miles on it (To trade for my '11 F150 Ecoboost) was because of the HORRABLE fuel mileage. The only reason it only had 18,500 miles on it was because of the HORABLE fuel mileage..

That is why I am thrilled with my 16-18 MPG that my new F-150 Ecoboost is getting, however I'd love to see the 20+ MPG that some have been reporting, but I have the 3.73 gears and 4x4 so I doubt I'll ever see it.

As long as my Ecoboost pull's 9,000 LBS as well as my 2006 Dodge Ram Mega Cab, I'll be happy as a pig in a mud hole.

p.s. The 5.9 Cummings was the best engine Dodge had. The 6.7L Cummings is junk and I think Dodge has lost ALOT of market share due to having swapped out the 5.9 for the 6.7.

-TheChad
Old 07-30-2011, 12:57 PM
zap

The 5.9 was a great engine. The thing I liked about it was that is was it was a widely available engine. All of the vehicles that are in the new Cummins commercial that pokes at the Powerstroke, all had 5.9's in them. In fact, internals were the exact same with the 3.9 4 cyl, a swap I eventually am planning for my 02. I know die hard Cummins fans that have gone with Duramax's ever since the 6.7 came out. I few guys I know have actually taken their 6.7's out and swapped them for 5.9's (Common Rail 5.9 has the same tune as a 6.7) and they tell me it was literally a direct bolt up and then plug n' play. I don't think Dodge even makes the MegaCab in a half because of the mileage they made and the EPA doesn't require mileage standards on anything badged as a 3/4 ton.

Back to towing. I'm not a fan of half ton's and pulling, especially 5th wheels. I will say that when picking a 5th wheel trailer, do yourself a favor and get the much stronger gooseneck hide away hitch and 5th kingpin adapter. Same price in the long run, but it's easier to use your bed when your not towing.
Old 07-30-2011, 03:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Uh...maybe I'm missing something, but the OP stated that he would be towing around 9500lbs. Should have no issues if he gets an EB with Max tow package.
Old 07-30-2011, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by zap
Back to towing. I'm not a fan of half ton's and pulling, especially 5th wheels. I will say that when picking a 5th wheel trailer, do yourself a favor and get the much stronger gooseneck hide away hitch and 5th kingpin adapter. Same price in the long run, but it's easier to use your bed when your not towing.

I've thought of that, actually I'd PREFER to do that because as you mentioned I would have easier use of the bed when not towing.

But I was thinking that it would be less desireable to use the adapter and or would mess with the weight distrobution.

Does the towing capacity stay the same when towing a 5th wheel vs tow behind? Just tow's easier? Or does it change because it's putting more weight in the bed vs behind the truck?

P.S. As you mentioned the 1/2 ton trucks having the same frames as the 3/4 ton trucks, why then do you suggest not using a 5th wheel in a 1/2 ton?

Thanks,

-ThaChad
Old 07-30-2011, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by gw1800
Uh...maybe I'm missing something, but the OP stated that he would be towing around 9500lbs. Should have no issues if he gets an EB with Max tow package.

Correct, but would/could have issues if he went with the 5.0 that he was also asking about.

-TheChad
Old 07-30-2011, 03:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheChad
Correct, but would/could have issues if he went with the 5.0 that he was also asking about.

-TheChad
Absolutley, but on another note, I see 5.4 guys towing 9-10,000lbs. and the 5.0 has a higher rating correct? Me personally, I wouldn't do it, but then I perfer to be safe and have my truck for a long time.
Old 07-30-2011, 03:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

No 5.4 got max tow at 11300. Unless your talking power then 5.0 has more.

Quick Reply: Max Towing Question