Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Loud buzzing/hum noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud buzzing/hum noise

Hi, I'm new here and not sure if this is the correct place to post this. If not, maybe someone can lead me in the right direction.

I have a 2000 Ford F150 that I bought about a month ago. Everything was running fine and it still runs fine. I've noticed in the past 3 days a loud humming/buzzing sound coming from under the hood. Almost piercing. Now I was told when I bought it that the A/C was not putting out much cold air and I have not even been running it but was under the impression that the fan runs anyhow regardless because it is hooked into a serpentine belt or something? I may be way off here, not sure if that info is even correct.

Would just adding some freon make the humming/buzzing sound go away or is this maybe a sign of something other than the compressor on the a/c.

Thanks for any direction!
Lisa
Old 06-27-2011, 01:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by floridasunflowers
Hi, I'm new here and not sure if this is the correct place to post this. If not, maybe someone can lead me in the right direction.

I have a 2000 Ford F150 that I bought about a month ago. Everything was running fine and it still runs fine. I've noticed in the past 3 days a loud humming/buzzing sound coming from under the hood. Almost piercing. Now I was told when I bought it that the A/C was not putting out much cold air and I have not even been running it but was under the impression that the fan runs anyhow regardless because it is hooked into a serpentine belt or something? I may be way off here, not sure if that info is even correct.

Would just adding some freon make the humming/buzzing sound go away or is this maybe a sign of something other than the compressor on the a/c.

Thanks for any direction!
Lisa
The compressor isn't turning even though it's got a pulley with the belt on it. There's a clutch that pulls in that actually turns the compressor once you turn the a/c on. Maybe there is a bad bearing in one of the parts on the belt though. Adding freon wouldn't make any sounds go away. You could take the belt off and start spinning things, and see if you can feel something turning rough or making noise though.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:34 PM

Anyone know the width of the frame on a 97 f250 I want to mount a new bumper but not sure of the width and I'm working in camp right now and don't have the truck with me so I can't measure, the bumper mounts to the outside of the frame
Old 06-27-2011, 02:08 PM
2012 F150 XLT 5.0

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

it could be your belt it self, look to see if it has cracks in it, or it can be bearings going in a different pulley but that is more of a squealing noise.

Last edited by KIETH F150; 06-27-2011 at 03:43 PM.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:40 PM

Turn the AC on and see if it's blowing cold. Check and make sure the compressor is cycling properly. Turn the AC on and off and see if the noise is associated with the compressor itself. It maybe another accessory pulley going bad.

Quick Reply: Loud buzzing/hum noise