Topic Sponsor

No fire coming out of coil

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 01:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No fire coming out of coil

I am working on an 87 F150 with a 302. The owner said that it was running fine when he parked it. He had a guy do a tune-up on it and was suppose to change the valve cover gaskets also, but for whatever reason he had the guy quit working on it. He changed the valve cover gaskets himself and said that when he took over, the white-blue stripe wire (I am assuming is the constant hot) was pulled out of the plug to the coil and was arcing on the engine. He stuck it back in the plug, but now it will not crank. I have took over the job for him because he is mechanically DECLINED! LOL.
To enlighten you a little, I have used these websites to help in diagnosing the problem.
1- http://www.f150-forums.com/1987-1996...your-coil-546/
2- http://easyautodiagnostics.com/ford_...d_module_2.php
3- I have also looked up as many wiring diagrams that I could find to use in the process. I can't really find a true and accurate wiring diagram for an 87 model with a 302.

I have checked all the fuses and relays, and they all check fine. And when I say I have checked them, I have pulled them out and checked them with my meter. There is no fire coming out of the coil. I do not want to cross over the solenoid to try and crank it because I do not want to risk burning something up if there is a short in the system. The ignition switch and cylinder are working correctly because I do get fire to other things that are suppose to when you turn the key on. I have checked the coil with my meter and it checks fine. The resistance doesn't even read high like it would if the coil was bad when hot. #1> The solenoid does not have a wire connected to the "I" side (which correct me if I am wrong, is suppose to have a blue wire that runs from the battery and to the coil plug). #2> The white-blue striped wire to the coil has constant ~13 volts with the key on. The other side of the plug has 2 green wires in it. Those wires have no power at any time. #3> I have checked the ignition module (The one on the distributor) and it has a good ground (as with everything else). When I checked the #5(Ignition Coil Control Signal) Circuit, it has a constant ~13 volts. When you turn the engine over it drops to 11.2 and stays there, rather than fluctuating with the timing like it is suppose to. Am I right in thinking that circuit should not have a constant power, and why would the voltage not be fluctuating? Now on the solenoid, I do not have a ground wire to it. It is only grounded through the mounting bolts. Does it not need that secondary ground? Also, where is the second ignition control module? I am a chevy man and have not worked on too many fords, so I am learning some of this stuff as I go.

Quick Reply: No fire coming out of coil