Topic Sponsor

Engine Swap?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Swap?

So yesterday my 300 i6 blew up and would need a complete rebuild and I don't know if the block is still good or not. I was wondering if I should go ahead and buy a 302 or 351 and build one off of those blocks? If I were going to go to a 302 or a 351 which is cheaper to build? Not to put down an insane amount of hp but a little bit better then a stock motor.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:32 PM

Received 102 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Fviehman91
So yesterday my 300 i6 blew up and would need a complete rebuild and I don't know if the block is still good or not. I was wondering if I should go ahead and buy a 302 or 351 and build one off of those blocks? If I were going to go to a 302 or a 351 which is cheaper to build? Not to put down an insane amount of hp but a little bit better then a stock motor.
What are you looking for exactly? How much are you wanting to spend? A friend of mine bought a crate 351 for around $1500 for his '77 f250 but it was carbureted so he didn't have to mess with or buy any EFI stuff. Do you just want to pull from a donor truck? Get brand new? I think you can take the block somewhere to have it checked, not sure though.

No engine is cheap to build. Good quality parts cost money and it adds up quick.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the reply. As of right now I'm looking for more of a used engine I don't have that much to spend maybe a $1000 tops. I want to build a quality engine that will last me for a while I have been looking around on Craigslist in my area and I can find blocks that need to be completely build and I have also found whole engines but there is no guarantee that those engines that will be solid so I just don't know where I should go.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:52 PM

Received 102 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Fviehman91
Thank you for the reply. As of right now I'm looking for more of a used engine I don't have that much to spend maybe a $1000 tops. I want to build a quality engine that will last me for a while I have been looking around on Craigslist in my area and I can find blocks that need to be completely build and I have also found whole engines but there is no guarantee that those engines that will be solid so I just don't know where I should go.
With $1k you MIGHT be able to just find a donor truck that has the engine you want and just swap the engine over and you'd have an entire truck for anything else you need, then scrap or part out the rest to make some money back.

You could try looking in your area for people that could check the condition of your current motor to see if its actually scrap or if something else failed, then pull your motor out and take it there.

Quick Reply: Engine Swap?