General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E-locker question

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-locker question

I am considering a 2011 F150 FX4. I have never owned a truck with a e-locker. I live in MN and drive in a lot of snow and ice both on the roads and the lakes for ice fishing.

My question is how is the truck going to behave with the locker engaged on a icy, snowy road surface or driving on a frozen lake? Will I be able to turn when the locker is engaged on these surfaces? Is the truck more prone to going into a skid? Sorry for the stupid questions but I am leaning more and more towards the Ford so I want to be sure the e-locker is going to be the right choice.

I currently have a Chevy with the Gov-Lock and I don't have to worry with the above questions.

Any help would be great.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:46 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

It will push a little and be harder to turn so I wouldn't use it for just driving around. 4 wheel high should be sufficient, but if you get stuck, the ELD will will payoff bigtime.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:00 PM

Received 366 Likes on 284 Posts

the 2011's with the electronic locker also have electronic wheel spin control which makes the open dif act like a limited slip dif. I doubt you will ever have to engage the locker unless you go offroad and hang tires in the air.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:06 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SultanGris
I doubt you will ever have to engage the locker unless you go offroad and hang tires in the air.
This was in my backyard. It would never of happened with an ELD.
Attached Images  
Old 07-21-2011, 01:28 AM

Haha, nice one! ive been in a few situations like that with a limited slip and both back tires will spin in that mud all day long just like a locker, a locker wouldnt make any difference at all, unless of course you had a open dif instead of limited slip.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:38 AM
crush a little car today

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had a TruTrac tornsen differential installed when the gears were changed out. Dry, wet or snow it is great and it sure helps when spinning the tires on a launch.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:51 PM
Roll Tide

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheKurgan

This was in my backyard. It would never of happened with an ELD.
I hear ya, the LS on my 08 f150 is completely pointless

From My iPhone 5
Old 07-22-2011, 01:07 AM

you are telling me that you have LS and both your back tires dont spin on gravel, grass, mud, pavement or any other time? Only one spins? Are you sure you dont have an open dif? In all those situations my LS in every ford i have ever had as spun both tires the same. With one on pure ice and one on dry pavement when HAMMERING the throttle they both still spin, but not at the same speed like they do in every other situation, dry one is slower but you still move forward. The only place I have ever seen a LS not act like a full locker is when one tire is on ice and one is on pavement or one is in the air. when both are on the same or even similar surfaces they both always spin.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:39 AM

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by SultanGris
you are telling me that you have LS and both your back tires dont spin on gravel, grass, mud, pavement or any other time? Only one spins? Are you sure you dont have an open dif? In all those situations my LS in every ford i have ever had as spun both tires the same. With one on pure ice and one on dry pavement when HAMMERING the throttle they both still spin, but not at the same speed like they do in every other situation, dry one is slower but you still move forward. The only place I have ever seen a LS not act like a full locker is when one tire is on ice and one is on pavement or one is in the air. when both are on the same or even similar surfaces they both always spin.
.....if the clutches in your LS diff are worn out, you essentially now have an open diff.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:07 AM
Senior almost

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

E-Locker in Fords is both wheels spin the same so one never spins free with it engaged. It is a traction system both wheels will are equal all the time. So when driing in mud because they both push you tend to get less steering as both wheels in the rear will make you plow forward. It says in the manual not for use on hard pavement.. Actually says do not use... They do not work as a limited slip diff. When you engage 4wd you will get 3 wheels turing with E-lock on.. These are great but you have to know when and where to use it....

Quick Reply: E-locker question