Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

How To: Bypass the PATS system

Old 03-21-2013, 01:36 PM
Street Queen in the Mud

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default How To: Bypass the PATS system

The reasons for wanting to do this mod can range from installing a remote starter, to not wanting to pay absurd amounts for a key copy.

Warnings, I am not responsible for any damage to your truck, keys or anything else. By bypassing the PATS system, you are making it easier for your truck to be stolen.

So, to start off, things you will need.
A chip key to sacrifice to this project
Double stick tape
"Dumb" copies of your key
Basic tools

The principle of this project is to take the chip out of a key, and permenantly install it on your lock cylinder. This does have one side effect that I have found. Other chipped keys will no longer work while this mod is installed. Theoretically if you wrap the head of your chipped key in tin-foil it will work, I haven't tested this.

With that being said, lets start.

First things first, get your key copied on to "dumb" keys. (keys without chips) I did mine at Lowes, the guy was confused, but I told them I just wanted them as door keys. Its key blank 24R at Lowes if they say they don't have a matching blank.

Next, you will need a donor key. You could use one of the original ford keys if you like. Personally I like to keep them intact, and I used a homemade key copy (bought an eBay blank, cut by a hardware store) for my donor key. If you need help with programming a new chip key to your truck, google it, theres tons of info on it.

Taking your donor key find the little square cover on the head and pry it off, I used a knife
How To: Bypass the PATS system-m8jkbxy.jpg

There should be a little "sled" inside with a chip in it, pull out the chip, it should look like this.
How To: Bypass the PATS system-m3rhxjw.jpg

Now go out to your truck, and remove the ignition cylinder. To do this, insert a key (doesnt matter if its chipped or not) and turn to the "run" position without starting the truck, make a note of about where the key is pointing in the run position for later. At this point in time, using a screw driver poke the release on the cylinder while gently pulling outwards.
How To: Bypass the PATS system-onlsb4q.jpg
In this picture, the release is on the bottom of the steering wheel, up inside the hole in the inside upper left hand corner. (Not the outermost hole, which has a screw in it, the one more towards the middle of the panel)

How To: Bypass the PATS system-ogr6axc.jpg
Once you have the cylinder out, remove the three screws holding the bottom panel onto the steering wheel. It is not important to actually remove the bottom panel.

At this point, you will need to lift up on the top cover, to expose the top of the housing for the lock cylinder. Now, attach the chip you took out of the key and using the double sided tape attach it to the outside of the cylinder casing, underneath the column cover.

Now, put the top cover back in place and reinsert the ignition cylinder. Turn off the ignition and remove the key. Now insert a dumb key, if the truck starts, and the "theft" light isn't flashing, you're all set. If it doesn't start, or the theft light continues to flash, you're going to need to reposition the chip. It should be located directly on the cylinder housing, right where the key is pointing in the run position.

If it worked, reassemble the bottom cover, and you're all set, and can now do whatever it was you originally wanted to do.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:11 PM

Received 426 Likes on 323 Posts

This isn't bypassing the PATS, it's just using it full time. To bypass the system you can use a handheld programmer like the SCT or use a Directed bypass module. (Usually used for quality remote starts.)
Old 03-21-2013, 02:15 PM
Street Queen in the Mud

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Sxynerd
This isn't bypassing the PATS, it's just using it full time. To bypass the system you can use a handheld programmer like the SCT or use a Directed bypass module. (Usually used for quality remote starts.)
Well, its circumventing the need to have a chipped key in the ignition.

Truthfully, I didn't know that a tuner could remove it.
Old 02-06-2024, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Someone please help! I have a 2009 Ford f150 extended cab. That I'm purchasing from my landlord and the anti theft safety feature is engaged. Apparently his daughter at some point tried to steal it.........so it's been sitting for a good while also. Now we had a friend "mechanic friend" that borrowed his dad's really expensive computer to bypass the anti theft completely, well long story short we all are no longer friends now and he never came back to help me complete the process. All he gave me was a paper of instructions that did not work. At this point it's got a new starter and all new fuses and everything. I know that's the problem. How can I bypass this without taking it in to the dealership?
Old 02-06-2024, 09:55 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SR2K
The reasons for wanting to do this mod can range from installing a remote starter, to not wanting to pay absurd amounts for a key copy.

Warnings, I am not responsible for any damage to your truck, keys or anything else. By bypassing the PATS system, you are making it easier for your truck to be stolen.

So, to start off, things you will need.
A chip key to sacrifice to this project
Double stick tape
"Dumb" copies of your key
Basic tools

The principle of this project is to take the chip out of a key, and permenantly install it on your lock cylinder. This does have one side effect that I have found. Other chipped keys will no longer work while this mod is installed. Theoretically if you wrap the head of your chipped key in tin-foil it will work, I haven't tested this.

With that being said, lets start.

First things first, get your key copied on to "dumb" keys. (keys without chips) I did mine at Lowes, the guy was confused, but I told them I just wanted them as door keys. Its key blank 24R at Lowes if they say they don't have a matching blank.

Next, you will need a donor key. You could use one of the original ford keys if you like. Personally I like to keep them intact, and I used a homemade key copy (bought an eBay blank, cut by a hardware store) for my donor key. If you need help with programming a new chip key to your truck, google it, theres tons of info on it.

Taking your donor key find the little square cover on the head and pry it off, I used a knife
Attachment 573646

There should be a little "sled" inside with a chip in it, pull out the chip, it should look like this.
Attachment 573647

Now go out to your truck, and remove the ignition cylinder. To do this, insert a key (doesnt matter if its chipped or not) and turn to the "run" position without starting the truck, make a note of about where the key is pointing in the run position for later. At this point in time, using a screw driver poke the release on the cylinder while gently pulling outwards.
Attachment 573648
In this picture, the release is on the bottom of the steering wheel, up inside the hole in the inside upper left hand corner. (Not the outermost hole, which has a screw in it, the one more towards the middle of the panel)

Attachment 573649
Once you have the cylinder out, remove the three screws holding the bottom panel onto the steering wheel. It is not important to actually remove the bottom panel.

At this point, you will need to lift up on the top cover, to expose the top of the housing for the lock cylinder. Now, attach the chip you took out of the key and using the double sided tape attach it to the outside of the cylinder casing, underneath the column cover.

Now, put the top cover back in place and reinsert the ignition cylinder. Turn off the ignition and remove the key. Now insert a dumb key, if the truck starts, and the "theft" light isn't flashing, you're all set. If it doesn't start, or the theft light continues to flash, you're going to need to reposition the chip. It should be located directly on the cylinder housing, right where the key is pointing in the run position.

If it worked, reassemble the bottom cover, and you're all set, and can now do whatever it was you originally wanted to do.
I got a free copy of FORSCAN and some ebay keys. Then programmed those keys for just a few bucks. Not hard at all.
Old 02-07-2024, 10:57 AM

Where do I get the free copy of Forscan and I can get keys where? Don't I have to have at least one of the original keys? And why does my key that I have work for everything but it's throwing code 13?
Old 02-07-2024, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Shekelia
Where do I get the free copy of Forscan and I can get keys where? Don't I have to have at least one of the original keys? And why does my key that I have work for everything but it's throwing code 13?
Now it's also throwing a U0100 code for lost communication with ECM/PCM.
Old 02-07-2024, 04:10 PM
Smarter than most Racoons

Received 1,295 Likes on 844 Posts

Originally Posted by Shekelia
Where to get Forscan:
https://www.forscan.org/download.html

How to program keys / fobs, it can be done with no connected keys, it just takes more steps.
https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=839

,There is a free trial license on the download page.

Also, This is the 1997 to 2003 forum. You may get a better response in the 2009 to 2014 forum
https://www.f150forum.com/f38/

Last edited by ultimatenoobie; 02-07-2024 at 04:12 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How To: Bypass the PATS system