Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Rough idle, Sputtering, No power and Dies

Old 10-09-2012, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough idle, Sputtering, No power and Dies

I do love my Fords but maybe I'm just getting too old.

2004 F150 4.6L STX four door, with 291,000 miles. Out of no where it starts sputtering, rough idle, no power and running very rich ... very. Checked codes indicated MAF, removed and cleaned (electric contact cleaner), cleaned throttle body and intake (throttle body cleaner) and replaced EGR valve and cleaned port (throttle body cleaner). Restarted still just as rich and just as rough. Disconnected MAF and it ran strong.

Reset codes, restarted to check codes again, damn still running just as rough. New codes now indicate P0191 fuel rail pressure sensor, P2196 O2 bank 1 sensor 1 and P2198 bank 2 sensor 1.

It sounds like process of elimination instead of technology to me. What next fuel pump, fuel pump drive module or catalytic converter .........................

We have also:

Changed fuel filter

Changed plugs

Seafoamed
1/3 in gas, 1/3 in crankcase oil
1/3 through brake booster vac hose

Pulled FPDM and it doesn't look bad

HELP !!!!!!!!!!! any suggestions or secrets?
Old 10-09-2012, 09:39 AM
Meaner than Ymeski

Received 819 Likes on 468 Posts

Fuel pump module would be my guess... Just a guess... I don't know what part of the world you are from but the colder weather really kicks these module's in the butt!
Old 10-11-2012, 04:12 AM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts

At that mileage its probably worth changing the FPDM and cleaning the harness connections too. Maybe a good time to do a compression test too, it maybe all good, or you may find some unbalance between cylinders......no way of knowing until you compression test.

I am not sure seafoam is a good idea in through the inlet manifold, ive heard of a few hydraulic locking probelms! But, you did it and seems like all worked okay.

Can you do a fuel pressure test, see what the normal working delivery pressure is and also how much the pump delivers in say 30 secs.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:20 AM
jaxwireman

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Possible injector stuck open dumping fuel in. Had this happen on my 05 and did similar. Ran rough and very rich thought it was misfire from a bad coil pack. Injector was the problem squirting fuel in the cylinder constantly.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rough idle, Sputtering, No power and Dies