Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Terra Grapplers on 4x2......Overkill?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 05:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Terra Grapplers on 4x2......Overkill?

What's up guys. I have a 2012 FX2 eco and I'm thinking about getting some new wheels, which means new tires. I'm kind of conflicted on what route I want to go as I'm thinking about performance but I also care about looks. What I mean by that is, I would like to retain if not improve the performance of my FX2, but I don't care for the low profile look on trucks. Hence the reason I've been looking at the Nitto's (damn good looking tire). My only problem is I'm thinking they are overkill for what I intend to do with them (all highway driving, no off road). Thoughts?
Old 10-12-2012, 05:53 PM

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by AroundtheF150
What's up guys. I have a 2012 FX2 eco and I'm thinking about getting some new wheels, which means new tires. I'm kind of conflicted on what route I want to go as I'm thinking about performance but I also care about looks. What I mean by that is, I would like to retain if not improve the performance of my FX2, but I don't care for the low profile look on trucks. Hence the reason I've been looking at the Nitto's (damn good looking tire). My only problem is I'm thinking they are overkill for what I intend to do with them (all highway driving, no off road). Thoughts?
Check out BFG all terrains or Goodyear duratracs. They'll hold up a lot better for on road driving. And if u decide to eventually go offload, they'll be good there also
Old 10-12-2012, 06:33 PM

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Do whatever the hell you want man! I've got a 2wd and eventually I'm leveling it and putting on nitto trail grapplers.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bigblueSTX
Do whatever the hell you want man! I've got a 2wd and eventually I'm leveling it and putting on nitto trail grapplers.

That's what I'm trying to figure out!
Old 10-12-2012, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been going back and forth on the wheel/tire setup for my Eco FX2 as well. I was either going to go with 22"s and street tires, for the on-road performance, mpg save etc. or put a 1.5" leveling kit on the front and 20" on 33" terra grapplers. I think im going with the level and terra grapplers.

Take a look at Cooper Zeon LTZ tires as well. I was looking at those extensively as well. Very similar aggressive tread to terra grapplers, but supposedly better for the highway.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:47 PM

Received 749 Likes on 622 Posts

Check out the Nitto Crosstek's or the BFG Rugged Terrain's. These may be better for mostly highway driving while still looking good. Nothing wrong with the Terragrappler's on the highway even though they are an all terrain tire.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:51 PM

Received 3,928 Likes on 2,509 Posts

My only problem is I'm thinking they are overkill for what I intend to do with them (all highway driving, no off road). Thoughts?
What are your concerns? Terras don't look that aggresive. They are kind of heavy but they ride great on the highway.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:43 PM
Old Man

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Get the Nittos.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:01 PM
F150Forum Sponsor - SCT Dealer! 614 620-5050

Received 1,084 Likes on 877 Posts

Don't see why not. I just ordered new rims and got nitto Tera grapplers for them. Won't seeing off road much but fits what I want/needed and budget
Old 10-12-2012, 09:12 PM

Received 127 Likes on 17 Posts

I have a set of the nitto trail grapplers M/T. I love the look and my 2wd truck sees its fair share of time off road. The draw back to them on highway is slight loss in power, road noise and roughly 2 mpg loss. For your situation I would go with the terra grapplers. You will get a nice look and "not too bad" of a road tire.

Quick Reply: Terra Grapplers on 4x2......Overkill?